What are the bounds of a ratio with a given set of numbers and variables?

In summary: The numerator and the denominator are both positive integers, so the max-min problem can be solved for two variables.
iScience
Sorry in advance if I've posted in the wrong section.

given the set ##\{r_i, r_{ii}, r_{iii}, ... , r_R\}##
where ##r \ \epsilon \ \mathbb{Z}_+ \ , \ r_i \geq r_{i+1}##How would you go about finding the bounds of something like this, or determining if it even has any?

##( \, log_2{\frac{(\sum_{i=1}^R{r_i})!}{\prod_{i=1}^R{(r_i!)}}}) \, :\sum_{i=1}^{R}{i \cdot r_i}##

Physics news on Phys.org
Since ##r_i## is the largest and ##r_R## is the smallest, the ratio in the log must smaller than ##\frac{(r_iR)!}{(r_R!)^R},## which may depend on ##r_i##, ##r_R## and ##R.## Does the problem require a fixed constant?

tommyxu3 said:
Since ##r_i## is the largest and ##r_R## is the smallest, the ratio in the log must smaller than ##\frac{(r_iR)!}{(r_R!)^R},## which may depend on ##r_i##, ##r_R## and ##R.## Does the problem require a fixed constant?

The fraction within the log is always greater than or equal to one, and only gets larger and larger with increasing ##R## and ##\bar{r}##. But I don't know how I would go about expressing the rate of change with respect to the denominator of the ratio.
Hmm, I guess... what I'm looking for is more of a simplification, because that would be easier to look at. But I'm not sure what you meant by the fixed constant thing, can you elaborate?

At first I'm not sure what you want also, and guess maybe you hope to get the ratio can be bounded with some cool number, maybe ##Ce^R##... likewise haha.
For me the fraction cannot be simplified XD

For any set of values I've tested so far, the ratio has not exceeded the value 1. In fact i haven't found it to ever reach 1. I wanted to know what properties of a given set determined its closeness to the value 1. I hope this makes sense.

What if I choose ##r_i=100,r_R=1,R=2?## Then the ratio is greater than 1 right?

##\{100\ ,\ 1\}## yields...

##numerator: log_2{ \frac{ 101! }{ 100! \cdot 1! } } = log_2{ \frac{ 101! }{ 100! } } = log_2{101} =7##
##ratio: \frac{7}{102} = 0.0686##

(remember the numerator is logged by base 2)

...My fault to miss the latter. I just saw the fraction. So the sum of ##r_x## is also concerned... Then it's harder to simplify...

I know I stated that simplification was my goal. But I suppose that's not the only way to achieve my "true goal", which I'm still getting closer to.. (sorry)

I postulate that there is a relationship between the numbers in the given set, that dictates its closeness to the value 1. I just want to figure that out..
even a pointer to how I might go about that would be of great help.

iScience said:
given the set ##\{r_i, r_{ii}, r_{iii}, ... , r_R\}##
where ##r \ \epsilon \ \mathbb{Z}_+ \ , \ r_i \geq r_{i+1}##

As matter of vocabulary, if we were "given" that set of numbers, the ratio would have a single numerical value, so when you mention "bounds" aren't we treating the ##R_i## as variables and asking how to maximize or minimize the ratio? Can we start by solving the max-min problem for 2 variables ?

What is the definition of a ratio?

A ratio is a comparison of two quantities or values, typically expressed as a fraction. It shows the relationship between the two quantities and can be written in different ways, such as using a colon or the word "to".

How do you find the bounds of a ratio?

To find the bounds of a ratio, you need to determine the lowest and highest possible values for the quantities being compared. This can be done by analyzing the given information or by using mathematical calculations.

What is the significance of finding the bounds of a ratio?

Finding the bounds of a ratio is important because it helps to understand the range of possible values for the quantities being compared. This can be useful in making decisions or predictions based on the ratio.

Can the bounds of a ratio change?

Yes, the bounds of a ratio can change depending on the values of the quantities being compared. If the values change, the lower and upper limits of the ratio will also change accordingly.

What are some real-life applications of finding the bounds of a ratio?

Finding the bounds of a ratio can be helpful in a variety of fields, such as finance, statistics, and science. For example, in finance, it can be used to determine the best investment option based on the ratio of risk to return. In science, it can be used to analyze data and identify patterns or trends.