1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the Center of a circle

1. Oct 13, 2007 #1
    The question is:

A particle moves horizontally in uniform circular motion, over a horizontal xy plane. At one instant, it moves through the point at coordinates (3.00 m, 3.00 m) with a velocity of -5.00 m/s and an acceleration of +10.0 m/s2. What are the coordinates of the center of the circular path?

I know centripical acceleration is a = (v^2)/r

I know:
    ax = 0 m/s^2
    ay = 10 m/s^2

and . . .

vx = -5 m/s
    vy = 0 m/s

where do i go from here?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2007 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

What will that allow you to calculate?

I assume that the directions were given?

Make use of that centripetal acceleration formula.

4. Oct 13, 2007 #3
    ax = 0 m/s^2
    ay = 10 m/s^2

and . . .

vx = -5 m/s
    vy = 0 m/s

I am just assuming that from reading from the question . . .is that a safe assumption?

This is the question that I am asked:
    A particle moves horizontally in uniform circular motion, over a horizontal xy plane. At one instant, it moves through the point at coordinates (3.00 m, 3.00 m) with a velocity of -5.00 m/s and an acceleration of +10.0 m/s2. What are the coordinates of the center of the circular path?

and what I did was find the accel. in the x and y direction and the velocity in the x and y velocity

5. Oct 13, 2007 #4

Doc Al

The question says "with a velocity of -5.00 m/s and an acceleration of +10.0 m/s2", but what direction? You assume the velocity is in the -x direction, but I see nothing in the problem statement that tells you that.

Perhaps this statement "A particle moves horizontally in uniform circular motion, over a horizontal xy plane" was supposed to read "A particle moves along the x-axis...". (If it's moving in a horizontal xy plane, then both x-axis and y-axis are horizontal.)

OK, let's assume your directions are correct. Now make use of the centripetal acceleration formula. You have v and a; find r.

6. Oct 13, 2007 #5
    ahhhhh . . .there is another piece i left out . . "-5.00 i(hat) m/s and an acceleration of +10.0 j(hat) m/s2 "
    . . .that is where I got my information from but even in that case would I still just do a direct plug in? so. . .

10 = 25/r and r having a value of 2.5m?

7. Oct 13, 2007 #6

Doc Al

That makes all the difference! :smile:
    Right. Now use that to locate the center of the circle. (You know which way the acceleration points.)

8. Oct 13, 2007 #7
    wow i was just making it way too hard. . .thank you so much Doc!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?