Finding the change in length of humerous

In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking help with a mechanics practice question involving the tension of a bone in the upper arm. The solution involves using Young's modulus to find the resulting change in length of the bone. The person also shares their attempt at solving the problem using units and asks for confirmation if their solution is correct. Another person provides a summary of the steps involved in solving the question using Young's modulus.
vf_one
Hi I'm stuck on a particular practice question in mechanics and I'm hoping I can get some help

Homework Statement

The tension in the humerous (bone of upper arm) is 190N as a result of swinging a ball tied onto a string. What is the resulting change in the length of the humerous? (Assume that length of humerous is initially 30cm and that it has uniform radius of 2cm and that Young's modulus for bone tension is 16x109Nm-2)

2. The attempt at a solution

I don't know how to solve this question so I looked at the units and then tried to solve it from there. Have no idea if it is right or not.

a) F/Young's modulus= 190/16x109Nm-2 = 1.1875x10-8m2

b) Initial volume= 0.3 x pi x 0.022 = 3.76...x10-4m2

b-a= resulting volume

Resulting volume/ cross sectional area (pi x 0.022) = 0.2999999m or 0.30m (final length)

Is this the right way to work it out or am I completely wrong?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Young's modulus = Y = Stress / strain =(F/A)/(ΔL/L)

(ΔL/L) = (F/A)/Y

ΔL = (F*L)/Y*A

Substitute the values and find ΔL.

Oh thank you! I've never done a question on young's modulus before so this one was a good practice.

1. How do you measure the change in length of the humerus?

The change in length of the humerus can be measured by using a measuring tape or a caliper to compare the length before and after an activity or injury.

2. What factors can cause a change in length of the humerus?

A change in length of the humerus can be caused by growth, injury, or medical conditions such as osteoporosis or arthritis.

3. How does the change in length of the humerus affect the overall function of the arm?

The humerus is a major bone in the arm that helps with movement and stability. A change in its length can affect the range of motion and strength of the arm, potentially impacting daily activities and athletic performance.

4. Can the change in length of the humerus be reversed?

In some cases, such as growth-related changes, the length of the humerus may naturally return to its previous state. However, in cases of injury or medical conditions, the change in length may be permanent and require medical intervention.

5. How can the change in length of the humerus be prevented?

To prevent unwanted changes in length of the humerus, it is important to maintain good bone health through proper nutrition and exercise. It is also important to use proper form and technique during physical activities to avoid injury to the arm and shoulder.