1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the Charge on a Capacitor

1. Sep 25, 2011 #1
    I was given this problem throught WebAssign for my physics class:
    I am given an image of a power supply, followed by a circuit, a resistor1, then it breaks in two paths, one leading to another resistor2 and the other leading to a capacitor and then another resistor3, then the two paths come together and meet back at the power supply.
    For each of these I am given the values:
    R1=13000 [itex]\Omega[/itex]
    R2=18000 [itex]\Omega[/itex]
    R3=2000 [itex]\Omega[/itex]
    dV=8.1 V
    Capacitor=1.0E-5 F

The first part of the question asked for me to find the current in each of the resistors, which was fairly simple.
    To do this, I used the formula:
    I=V/R
    to get 261 [itex]\mu[/itex]A for the first and second resistors, and 0 for the thirds, as when the switch was thrown, the capacitor had to charge and no current reached that resistor.
    Now, I am completely lost as to how to find the charge on the capacitor. I have searched for methods, and have only managed to confuse myself even more. I do not know what formula to use. If I did, this would be much, much easier. Can anyone help me?
    Attached is a file containing the exact problem copied to microsoft word. Any assistance you can offer will be greatly appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2011 #2
    The attachment didn't go through! I'm sorry guys, I'm not sure what happened. :(

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook