Finding COM of L-Shaped Rod and Ball System

In summary, the conversation discussed different methods for finding the center of mass for an L shaped rod and a ball system. One method involved treating the L shaped rod as two separate rods and finding the center of mass for each, while another method involved finding the center of mass for one of the rods and the ball, and then finding the center of mass for the entire system. The need for finding the center of mass was also questioned, and it was suggested that the full homework question should be provided for a better understanding of the problem.
March
Homework Statement
its for my physics hw
Relevant Equations
h
I suspect we can treat the L shaped rod as two rods and then find the com for that system and then find the com of the ball and that system

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes!

or you could find the com of one of the rods and the ball, and then find the com of the 1st system and the other rod,

or better ...

March said:
Homework Statement:: its for my physics hw
Relevant Equations:: h

I suspect we can treat the L shaped rod as two rods and then find the com for that system and then find the com of the ball and that system
Welcome @March !
Could you post the full homework and your attempt to solve it?
Have you been given any dimmensions and values for each mass?

March said:
Homework Statement:: its for my physics hw
Relevant Equations:: h

It is often unnecessary to find a CoM. We need to see the whole question.

1. What is the center of mass (COM) of an L-shaped rod and ball system?

The center of mass (COM) of an object is the point at which the entire mass of the object can be considered to be concentrated. For an L-shaped rod and ball system, the COM is the point at which the combined mass of the rod and ball is evenly distributed.

2. How do you find the COM of an L-shaped rod and ball system?

To find the COM of an L-shaped rod and ball system, you need to first determine the individual COMs of the rod and ball. The COM of the rod can be found by dividing its length in half, while the COM of the ball can be found by using its known shape and dimensions. Once you have these values, you can use the formula for finding the COM of a system of multiple objects to calculate the COM of the entire system.

3. Why is it important to find the COM of an object?

Finding the COM of an object is important because it allows us to understand how the object will behave when subjected to external forces. The COM is the point at which the object's weight is evenly distributed, so it is the point at which the object will balance. This information is crucial in fields such as engineering and physics.

4. Can the COM of an L-shaped rod and ball system change?

The COM of an L-shaped rod and ball system can change if the position of the objects within the system changes. For example, if the ball is moved closer to the end of the rod, the COM will shift towards the ball. However, if the positions of the objects remain constant, the COM will not change.

5. How does the distribution of mass affect the COM of an L-shaped rod and ball system?

The distribution of mass within an object or system affects the location of its COM. Objects with more mass located towards one side will have a COM closer to that side. In an L-shaped rod and ball system, if the ball has more mass than the rod, the COM will be closer to the ball.