1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the coordinates of endpoints

1. Mar 14, 2005 #1
    How do you find the coordinates of endpoints of the major axis for an equation like

[tex]\frac{(x-1)^2}{16} + \frac{(y+2)^2}{25} = 1[/tex]

I'm just trying to develop the tequnique here. What should I be looking for? What numbers are important to an equation like this...

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2005 #2

aek

I like to help you out but i can't really understand your question...are you trying to say by the "endpoints" as in the y and x values. If you could clarify your question i might be able to help you...

take care,
    aek

4. Mar 14, 2005 #3
    Yeah, like....a pair of points. (x,y);(x,y)

5. Mar 15, 2005 #4
    Hint:
    find the center (h,k) first....
    the major axis is a line horizontally or vertically passes through the eclipse, depend on which one is longer....
    you should able to figure out the rest....

6. Mar 16, 2005 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

In your example, the center of the ellipse is at (1, -2) and the semi-axis in the x direction is 4 so the endpoints of the axis of the ellipse, in the x direction, are (1+4,-2)= (5,-2) and (1-4,-2)= (-3,-2). The semi-axis in the y direction is 5 so the endpoints of the axis of the ellipse, in the y direction, are (1,-2+5)= (1, 3) and (1, -2-5)= (1, -7)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?