Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Finding the coordinates of endpoints

1. Mar 14, 2005 #1
    How do you find the coordinates of endpoints of the major axis for an equation like

[tex]\frac{(x-1)^2}{16} + \frac{(y+2)^2}{25} = 1[/tex]

I'm just trying to develop the tequnique here. What should I be looking for? What numbers are important to an equation like this...

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2005 #2

aek

I like to help you out but i can't really understand your question...are you trying to say by the "endpoints" as in the y and x values. If you could clarify your question i might be able to help you...

take care,
    aek

4. Mar 14, 2005 #3
    Yeah, like....a pair of points. (x,y);(x,y)

5. Mar 15, 2005 #4
    Hint:
    find the center (h,k) first....
    the major axis is a line horizontally or vertically passes through the eclipse, depend on which one is longer....
    you should able to figure out the rest....

6. Mar 16, 2005 #5

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

In your example, the center of the ellipse is at (1, -2) and the semi-axis in the x direction is 4 so the endpoints of the axis of the ellipse, in the x direction, are (1+4,-2)= (5,-2) and (1-4,-2)= (-3,-2). The semi-axis in the y direction is 5 so the endpoints of the axis of the ellipse, in the y direction, are (1,-2+5)= (1, 3) and (1, -2-5)= (1, -7)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook