What are the critical numbers of the function g(x) = x^1/3 - x^-2/3?

• Thread starter loadsy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Numbers
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the critical numbers of a function, specifically g(x) = x^1/3 - x^-2/3. It is determined that the only critical number is 0, as the derivative is not defined at that point. However, it is mentioned that there could be other critical numbers where the derivative is equal to 0, which can be solved by setting 1/(3x^(2/3))+ 2/(3x^(5/3))= 0. It is then noted that another critical number in this instance is x= -2. Therefore, the critical numbers for this function are 0 and -2.
loadsy
I have a problem that involves trying to find the critical numbers of a function.

g(x) = x^1/3 - x^-2/3

I would assume in this instance that Dg = [0, +infinity)
g'(x) = 1/3x^-2/3 - (-2/(3(x^-5/3))
g'x = 1/ 3(x^2/3) + 2/ 3(x^5/3)

Now could you say that g'(0) = undefined, so 0E[0, +infinity) and g'(0) d.n.e therefore, 0 is a critical number of g. However, are there are any other critical numbers in this instance? And if so how do you solve for that?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, certainly, since g' is not defined at x= 0, that is, by definition, a critical number. That is the only value of x where the derivative is not defined but there might be other critical numbers where the derivative is equal to 0. How do you solve for that? Solve the equation 1/(3x^(2/3))+ 2/(3x^(5/3))= 0, of course. Looks pretty straight forward to me.

Ahhhh I follow you now. So the other critical number after solving 1/(3x^(2/3))+ 2/(3x^(5/3))= 0, I got was x= -2 in this instance. I'm assuming this is another critical number in this question. Therefore since this question is only asking for the "critical numbers", they are then just 0 and -2 I would assume.

What is the purpose of finding the critical numbers?

The critical numbers in a mathematical function are the values at which the derivative of the function is equal to zero or does not exist. These numbers are important because they help us identify the locations of maximum and minimum points, which are crucial in solving optimization problems.

How do you find the critical numbers of a function?

To find the critical numbers of a function, you must first take the derivative of the function. Then, set the derivative equal to zero and solve for the variable. The resulting values are the critical numbers of the function.

Why is it important to check the endpoints when finding critical numbers?

In some cases, the critical numbers may not be enough to determine the maximum or minimum points of a function. Endpoints, which are the values at the beginning and end of the domain, must also be checked to ensure that the maximum or minimum point is not located outside of the given domain.

What is the difference between a critical number and a critical point?

A critical number is any value at which the derivative of a function is equal to zero or does not exist. A critical point, on the other hand, is the point on the graph of the function where the tangent line is horizontal or vertical. The critical point will always correspond to a critical number, but not all critical numbers are critical points.

Can there be more than one critical number for a function?

Yes, there can be multiple critical numbers for a function. This means that there can be more than one location of maximum or minimum points on the graph of the function. It is important to check all critical numbers and endpoints to accurately determine the maximum or minimum point of a function.