1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the curl of B

1. Apr 24, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The electric and magnetic fields in a plane wave propagating in free-space in the z-direction can we represented by (in complex-exponential notation)

E(x, y, z, t) = E_0 e^i(kz−wt+d ) and B(x, y, z, t) = B_0e^i(kz−wt+d )

Starting with the Ampère-Maxwell law, ∇ x B =μ_0 ε_0 dE/dt , show that E_0 = −c(z×B0).

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm only having problems when I do curl B (differentiating E is no problem). I'm using the matrix method, but by just looking, it seems like it should be zero since B is in the z direction and there's no field in the x or y direction i.e

x_______y________z

d/dx___d/dy_____d/dz

0_______0____B_0e^i(kz−wt+d )

I should be getting something like ike^(...), but I'm not. Any insight would be helpful

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2013 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

While B is in the z direction only, the curl B will have components in the x and y directions and not the z direction. So you should review the curl definition again and see where you went astray.

4. Apr 24, 2013 #3

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

The wave is propagating in the z-direction. The magnetic field doesn't point in the z-direction.

5. Apr 24, 2013 #4
    Sorry, what I meant was from doing the calculation, I found the answer to be zero. That's what I found confusing. It shouldn't be zero.

Am I assuming wrong that d/dx and d/dy of B will come out as 0 since it's differentiating constants as there are no x or y variables in the field?

Basically, this is what I got from doing curl B:

x_hat[d/dy e^(...) - d/dz (0)] -y_hat[d/dx e^(...) - d/dz(0)] + z_hat[0-0]

6. Apr 24, 2013 #5
    Ahh, of course, they're supposed to be orthogonal. I was under the impression that the magnetic field was in the z direction.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted