1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the curl of F

1. Nov 21, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    1.F=(x-8z)i+(x+9y+z)j+(x-8y)k find the curl of F

2. Relevant equations
    curl of F= del X F

3. The attempt at a solution
    1. First I took the partial with respect to y of (x-8y) and subtracted the partial with respect to z of (x+9y+z). From this I got (-8-1) Then I took the partial with respect to x of (x-8y) and subtracted the partial with respect to z of (x-8z), getting (1+8). I then took the partial with respect to x of (x+9y+z) and subtracted the partial with respect to y of (x-8z), getting (1-0). So I took (-8-1)-(1+8)+(1-0) and got an answer of 1, but this was wrong.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    2.F=(7e^x)i-(14e^y)j+(7e^z)k find the curl of F

2. Relevant equations
    curl of F= del X F

3. The attempt at a solution
    2. For this, since I was always gonna be taking the partial with respect to a variable that was not in that part of the function, everything would be zero. Ex: partial with respect to x of -14e^y should be zero I believe

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2011 #2
    For the curl of the first function I think that in finding the jth component of curlF you have to take the partial wrt z of (x-8z) and subtract from this the partial wrt x of (x-8y) but you did the reverse.

Note also that curl F is a vector and so it must remain as i(...) +j(...) +k(....).

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  4. Nov 21, 2011 #3
    Yes the curl of the second function F gives the zero vector.

5. Nov 21, 2011 #4
    I thought so. I entered this in and it was wrong. I'll just try emailing my professor.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook