Calculating Earth's Core Current: 6.2E8 A

In summary: The equation for calculating magnetic moment (M) is M = IA, where M is the moment, I is the current, and A is the area. In summary, the professor gave the equation M = IA and the value for M (1022 J/T). They also provided the equation for the area (A = 4PI(3200E3)^2) and solved for A, which is 1.29E14. Finally, the student asked if they were doing it correctly and the professor confirmed that they were.
mr_coffee
Hello everyone, I'm missing this problem and i aksed the professor if i was doing it wrong and he said, nope it looks like you just use that equation and solve for I. Here is the equation:
M = IA, where M stands for the moment; A stands for Area.
So you know the Moment is 1022 J/T. You also know the area is 4PIr^2;
A = 4PI(3200E3)^2;
A = 1.29E14;
I = M/A
I = (8E22)/1.29E14 = 620155038.8 = 6.2E8
Am i doing this right? It says its wrong!

The magnetic dipole moment of Earth is 8E22 J/T. Assume that this is produced by charges flowing in Earth's molten outer core. If the radius of their circular path is 3200 km, calculate the current they produce.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The area enclosed by a circle is [itex]\pi r^2[/itex]

Ohh my bad, i thought the Earth was more of a sphere than a circle, thank you!

mr_coffee said:
Ohh my bad, i thought the Earth was more of a sphere than a circle, thank you!

Sure, the Earth is a sphere. But we're not talking about the Earth here! I think you need to take another look at the basic concept.

mr_coffee said:
If the radius of their circular path is 3200 km...

We're talking about the area bounded by the circular path of the charges.

1. What is the current estimate for Earth's core current?

The current estimate for Earth's core current is 6.2E8 A, or 620 million amperes.

2. How is the Earth's core current calculated?

The Earth's core current is calculated using the Dynamo theory, which takes into account the Earth's rotation, magnetic field, and electrically conductive materials in the core.

3. What is the significance of knowing Earth's core current?

Knowing Earth's core current helps scientists understand the inner workings of the planet and its magnetic field, which plays a crucial role in protecting us from harmful solar radiation.

4. Has the estimate for Earth's core current changed over time?

Yes, the estimate for Earth's core current has changed over time as new research and data become available. Some studies have estimated the current to be as high as 10 billion amperes.

5. How does Earth's core current affect our daily lives?

Earth's core current does not directly affect our daily lives, but it does play a crucial role in maintaining the magnetic field that protects us from harmful solar radiation and allows for navigation using compasses.