Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

FInding the current through a resistor in parallel with 2 other (nonequal) resistors

1. May 24, 2009 #1
    How do you find the current through a resistor that is in parallel with 2 other nonequal resistors? I totally forgot how to do this.
    as an example, if

E = 10V
    R1= 5ohm
    R2 = 10ohm
    R3 = 15ohm

So, I know that 1/Req = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 = .533ohm

and also know Inet = 10V/.533ohm = 18.76A

but how do i get current going through R1???

please help, and thanks

PS --this is NOT a homework question even though i post alot of HW questions

2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2009 #2

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: FInding the current through a resistor in parallel with 2 other (nonequal) resist

You have the voltage and resistance, just use Ohms law.

4. May 24, 2009 #3
    Re: FInding the current through a resistor in parallel with 2 other (nonequal) resist

So you use ohms law for each resistor and doesnt matter if its in parallel or in series with other resistors? (thats whats confusing me)

5. May 24, 2009 #4

Hint: You have too much information.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook