How to Prove the Integral Property for Definite Integrals

In summary, the conversation involved a student struggling with a test on definite integrals and seeking help to understand a particular problem. The key to solving the problem was through a substitution of ##x = \pi - t##, which was suggested by the expert based on the symmetry of ##sin(x)## around ##pi/2##. Ultimately, the student was able to prove the proposition and solve the given integral with this substitution.
doktorwho

Homework Statement

Today i had a test on definite integrals which i failed. The test paper was given to us so we can practise at home and prepare better for the next one. This is the first problem which i need your help in solving::
Test.JPG

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]
As no points were given for a solution of the below integrals without the proof of the integral property above i need to do that first. I had no idea how to start the proof. I figured i need to use some sort of substitution but i fail to see which and why. Could you give me a hint on how to do this? I know i haven't provided any work done by myself but i can't since i can't start. I didn't have a clue calculus was going to be this hard :/.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The key here is that ##sin(x)## is symmetric around ##pi/2##. Hence the substitution ##t=pi/2+x## may be of use. You then see that a term in your new expression should disappear.

Incand said:
The key here is that ##sin(x)## is symmetric around ##pi/2##. Hence the substitution ##t=pi/2+x## may be of use. You then see that a term in your new expression should disappear.

I think you probably meant something more like ##x=\pi-t##.

Likes nuuskur
The substitution ##x = \pi - t ## does indeed do the trick for proving the proposition before solving the given integral.

nuuskur said:
The substitution ##x = \pi - t ## does indeed do the trick for proving the proposition before solving the given integral.
Yeah i did it with the substitution you proposed but how did you arrive at it?

1. What is the purpose of finding the definite integral?

The definite integral is used to find the exact area under a curve or between two points on a graph. It is also used to determine the total accumulation of a quantity over a given interval.

2. How is the definite integral different from the indefinite integral?

The definite integral has specific limits of integration, while the indefinite integral does not. This means that the definite integral gives a numerical value, while the indefinite integral gives a general function with a constant of integration.

3. What is the process for finding the definite integral?

The process for finding the definite integral involves taking the antiderivative of the function, evaluating it at the upper and lower limits of integration, and then subtracting the two values. This can be done using various integration techniques, such as substitution, integration by parts, or using tables of integrals.

4. When should the definite integral be used over other methods of finding area?

The definite integral should be used when the area under a curve or between two points on a graph cannot be easily determined using other methods, such as geometry. It is also useful when finding the total accumulation of a quantity over a given interval.

5. Are there any applications of finding the definite integral in real life?

Yes, there are many real-life applications of finding the definite integral, such as calculating the area under a velocity-time graph to determine the distance traveled by an object, finding the total revenue or profit of a company over a certain time period, and determining the amount of water in a reservoir by finding the area under a graph of its water level over time.