Finding the depth of a concave surface?

In summary: This will require some complex math and programming, but it is definitely possible with some careful planning and calculations. In summary, to build a tool for a workshop that can accurately measure the depth of a dip, you will need to use trigonometry and the Pythagorean Theorem to calculate the differences in height between each point and a reference origin, and then find an average to determine the overall depth. This will require careful planning and programming, but it is achievable.
liamket
I do not expect there to be one answer to this question... it is something which can probably be done several ways. However, I am trying to build a tool for my workshop and would love some insight into the necessary math to make it work. I've pasted a very rough sketch of some of the basic concepts below (it's also a little extreme, but only to show what makes this whole thing difficult)

i20x2o.jpg

Essentially I will have a vertical row of sensors (probably about 20 of them) which will be calibrated and will read the distance to the surface at their respective heights. What I need to figure out is how to calculate the depth of the dip. What makes it hard is that the top and bottom points are not always going to be equal in distance from the sensors. Somehow i feel the y-axis needs to be tilted to a standard. Who knows.

This is likely very complicated... but i intend to eventually write a program which can calculate this and display it on a digital display.

thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
The best way to approach this would be to first define a reference origin point - either the centre or the lowest point of the dip. Then you can use trigonometry to calculate the differences in height between each point and the reference point. You can then use the Pythagorean Theorem to calculate the depths of each point. Finally, you can use an average of the depths to give you an overall depth for the dip.

1. What is a concave surface?

A concave surface is a surface that curves inward, creating a hollow or bowl-like shape. This is in contrast to a convex surface, which curves outward.

2. Why is it important to find the depth of a concave surface?

Finding the depth of a concave surface is important for many reasons, such as determining the volume of a container, measuring the curvature of a lens or mirror, and understanding the shape of biological structures.

3. How can the depth of a concave surface be measured?

The depth of a concave surface can be measured using various tools and methods, such as a ruler, calipers, or a depth gauge. The specific method used will depend on the size and shape of the surface.

4. Are there any mathematical formulas for finding the depth of a concave surface?

Yes, there are mathematical formulas that can be used to find the depth of a concave surface. These formulas involve measuring the radius of curvature and the distance between two points on the surface.

5. What factors can affect the accuracy of measuring the depth of a concave surface?

The accuracy of measuring the depth of a concave surface can be affected by several factors, such as the precision of the measuring tool, the smoothness and uniformity of the surface, and any deformations or irregularities in the surface.