Finding the Depth of Water

In summary: So to find the depth of the ocean, we simply divide the total time delay by 2 and then multiply by the speed of sound in water (1530 m/s). In summary, the depth of the ocean is 4590 meters based on the given information.
zachcumer
[SOLVED] Finding the Depth of Water...

Hello, Can you guys help me? I have to answer this question for Physics Class: "An oceanic depth-sounding vessel surveys the ocean bottom with ultrasonic sound that travels 1530 m/s in seawater. How deep is the water if the time delay of the echo from the ocean floor is 6 s?"

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes we can help you, but you need to show us what you know first.

P.S. Please don't use large fonts, it's unnecessary and won't get your question answered any faster.

Hootenanny said:
Yes we can help you, but you need to show us what you know first.

P.S. Please don't use large fonts, it's unnecessary and won't get your question answered any faster.

Well, what I tried was thinking that it takes three seconds to get to the floor of the ocean and then three seconds to get back. Six seconds total. So I tried 1530 times 6...thats wrong...

also I know that speed of sound travels 345 meters per second...but don't think that applies here..

zachcumer said:
Well, what I tried was thinking that it takes three seconds to get to the floor of the ocean and then three seconds to get back. Six seconds total. So I tried 1530 times 6...thats wrong...
How far has the sound waves traveled in six seconds? Is is the depth of the ocean or ...?
zachcumer said:
also I know that speed of sound travels 345 meters per second...but don't think that applies here..
Indeed you are correct, that is the speed of sound in air, but we're in water here.

345 times 6 is 2040...

zachcumer said:
345 times 6 is 2040...
I refer you to my previous post, you do not want to use 345 m/s, that is the speed of sound in air, not water. I repeat by previous question from the pulse leaving the boat, hitting the ocean floor and then returning to the boat, how far has it traveled?

so 12 seconds...what?

zachcumer said:
so 12 seconds...what?
  1. The sound wave is emitted from the boat
  2. The sound wave travels through the water to the ocean floor
  3. The sound wave is then reflected off the ocean floor
  4. The sound wave travels from the ocean floor to the boat
  5. The time taken for this entire journey is 6 seconds.
You want to know that distance between the boat and the ocean floor.

yes. right. that's where I get stuck.

wait...1530 times 6 seconds equals 9180...hmmm

zachcumer said:
yes. right. that's where I get stuck.
So if the whole journey takes six seconds, how long does the journey from the boat to the ocean floor take?

9180 meters

zachcumer said:
9180 meters

Hootenanny said:
So if the whole journey takes six seconds, how long does the journey from the boat to the ocean floor take?

?

Hootenanny said:

So if the whole journey takes 6 secs. 1530 meters per second. 1530 times 6? no?

zachcumer said:
So if the whole journey takes 6 secs. 1530 meters per second. 1530 times 6? no?
If the whole journey takes six seconds, how long does it take for the sound to travel from the boat to the ocean floor only, i.e. half the journey.

3 seconds.

zachcumer said:
3 seconds.
Correct :approve:, so the distance from the boat to the ocean floor is...

4590 meters!

zachcumer said:
4590 meters!
Correct :approve:! The key point to note here is that the time delay measured is the time taken for the sound waves to travel twice the depth of the ocean (down and then back up).

1) How is the depth of water measured?

The depth of water is typically measured using a tool called a sounding line or a depth sounder. The sounding line is a rope with markings that is dropped into the water until it reaches the bottom, and the depth can then be read from the markings. A depth sounder uses sound waves to measure the distance from the surface of the water to the bottom.

2) What factors can affect the accuracy of depth measurements?

Several factors can affect the accuracy of depth measurements, including the type of instrument used, water temperature, salinity, and the presence of debris or obstructions in the water. Human error in reading and recording the measurements can also impact accuracy.

3) How does the depth of water vary in different bodies of water?

The depth of water can vary greatly in different bodies of water, depending on factors such as the shape and size of the body of water, the presence of currents or tides, and the depth of the ocean floor or lake bed. For example, the depth of a river may be relatively shallow compared to the depth of an ocean.

4) Why is it important to know the depth of water?

Knowing the depth of water is important for a variety of reasons. It is crucial for navigation, as it allows ships and boats to safely travel through waterways without running aground. It is also important for understanding the health of aquatic ecosystems, monitoring water levels during floods or droughts, and for recreational activities such as swimming or fishing.

5) How has technology advanced the process of finding the depth of water?

Technology has greatly advanced the process of finding the depth of water. In addition to traditional methods such as sounding lines and depth sounders, remote sensing technologies such as satellites and sonar can now be used to collect data on water depth. This allows for more efficient and accurate mapping of the ocean floor and other bodies of water.