Finding the Depth of Water

• Thread starter zachcumer
  • Start date
[SOLVED] Finding the Depth of Water...

Hello, Can you guys help me? I have to answer this question for Physics Class: "An oceanic depth-sounding vessel surveys the ocean bottom with ultrasonic sound that travels 1530 m/s in seawater. How deep is the water if the time delay of the echo from the ocean floor is 6 s?"

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

Hootenanny
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Yes we can help you, but you need to show us what you know first.

P.S. Please don't use large fonts, it's unnecessary and won't get your question answered any faster.

Yes we can help you, but you need to show us what you know first.

P.S. Please don't use large fonts, it's unnecessary and won't get your question answered any faster.

Well, what I tried was thinking that it takes three seconds to get to the floor of the ocean and then three seconds to get back. Six seconds total. So I tried 1530 times 6...thats wrong...

also I know that speed of sound travels 345 meters per second...but don't think that applies here..

Hootenanny
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Well, what I tried was thinking that it takes three seconds to get to the floor of the ocean and then three seconds to get back. Six seconds total. So I tried 1530 times 6...thats wrong...
How far has the sound waves traveled in six seconds? Is is the depth of the ocean or ...?
also I know that speed of sound travels 345 meters per second...but don't think that applies here..
Indeed you are correct, that is the speed of sound in air, but we're in water here.

345 times 6 is 2040...

Hootenanny
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
345 times 6 is 2040...
I refer you to my previous post, you do not want to use 345 m/s, that is the speed of sound in air, not water. I repeat by previous question from the pulse leaving the boat, hitting the ocean floor and then returning to the boat, how far has it traveled?

so 12 seconds...what?

Hootenanny
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
so 12 seconds...what?
  1. The sound wave is emitted from the boat
  2. The sound wave travels through the water to the ocean floor
  3. The sound wave is then reflected off the ocean floor
  4. The sound wave travels from the ocean floor to the boat
  5. The time taken for this entire journey is 6 seconds.
You want to know that distance between the boat and the ocean floor.

yes. right. thats where I get stuck.

wait...1530 times 6 seconds equals 9180...hmmm

Hootenanny
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
yes. right. thats where I get stuck.
So if the whole journey takes six seconds, how long does the journey from the boat to the ocean floor take?

9180 meters

Hootenanny
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
9180 meters

So if the whole journey takes six seconds, how long does the journey from the boat to the ocean floor take?

????

So if the whole journey takes 6 secs. 1530 meters per second. 1530 times 6? no?

Hootenanny
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
So if the whole journey takes 6 secs. 1530 meters per second. 1530 times 6? no?
If the whole journey takes six seconds, how long does it take for the sound to travel from the boat to the ocean floor only, i.e. half the journey.

3 seconds.

Hootenanny
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
3 seconds.
Correct :approve:, so the distance from the boat to the ocean floor is...

4590 meters!

Hootenanny
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
4590 meters!
Correct :approve:! The key point to note here is that the time delay measured is the time taken for the sound waves to travel twice the depth of the ocean (down and then back up).