Finding the derivative of an equation with an exponent

In summary: Yes I did see it and if you saw the other responses that followed you would also see that I fixed the...problem.
fk378

Homework Statement

Find the local max and min
f(x)=xe^x

Homework Equations

first find the derivative of xe^x and then set it to 0

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand how to approach the problem but I don't know how to break apart the original equation since there is an exponent there. I know if I ln both sides I can get rid of the e and therefore bring down the x exponent, but ln(0) does not exist.

Physics news on Phys.org
to find the derivative you need to use the product rule:

(uv)'=uv'+vu'

and from there you can find the critical points.

(xex)'= (x)' ex+ x(ex)'

Now, are you saying that you do not know the derivative of ex?

HallsofIvy said:
(xex)'= (x)' ex+ x(ex)'

Now, are you saying that you do not know the derivative of ex?

xe^x
f'(x)= (e^x) (x)(e^x)
to find the critical points:
(e^x) (x)(e^x)=x(e^2x) = 0

Now how do I solve for x when there is an x in the exponent?

fk378 said:
xe^x
f'(x)= (e^x) (x)(e^x)

You made a mistake. You must have a *sum* of two terms, not a product.
So you must solve [itex] e^x + x e^x =0[/itex] Factor out the exponential and find when this will be equal to zero.

Last edited:
nrqed said:
You made a mistake. You must have a *sum* of two terms, not a product.
So you must solve [itex] e^x + x e^x =0[/itex] Factor out the exponential and find when this will be equal to zero.

So then I have e^x (1+x) = 0. How do I factor out the x when there is one in the exponent? I know I can take the natural log but can I do that for the 0 as well? but ln(0) does not exist.

Last edited:
fk378 said:
So then I have e^x (1+x) = 0. How do I factor out the x when there is one in the exponent? I know I can take the natural log but can I do that for the 0 as well? but ln(0) does not exist.

No need to take ln...if you know that e^x is never equal to zero for all values of x, then you can simply divide by e^x

rock.freak667 said:
No need to take ln...if you know that e^x is never equal to zero for all values of x, then you can simply divide by e^x

You have a product with two factors; only one of them has to equal zero in order for the entire product to equal zero.

Here is another way to solve for the derivitive. It is similar to the product rule, but I like it's elegance. And it has to do with the fact that [tex]\frac{d}{dx}ln(x)=\frac{1}{x}[/tex].

[tex]f(x)=xe^x[/tex]

Take natural log of both sides:
[tex]ln(f(x))=ln(x)+x[/tex]

Use the chain rule to find the derivitive of the left side, and then differentiate the right:
[tex]\frac{f'(x)}{f(x)}=\frac{1}{x}+1[/tex]

Since [tex]f(x)[/tex] is given above, multiply both sides by it and you end up with:
[tex]f'(x)=e^x+xe^x[/tex]

Now when you set the derivitive to [tex]0[/tex], you factor out the [tex]e^x[/tex] and use the zero product rule along with some function analysis to get your solution. Remember the analysis!
[tex]0=e^x(x+1)[/tex].

fk378 said:

You caNOT isolate x in that expression. So what youhave to do is to say the following: the product is zero if either of the two factors is zero. So you turn it into two separate problems. SI there any x for which [itex] e^x=0 [/itex] and is there any x for which [itex] (1+x) =0 [/itex] ?

HallsofIvy said:
(xex)'= (x)' ex+ x(ex)'
fk378 said:
xe^x
f'(x)= (e^x) (x)(e^x)

Are you just ignoring what you are told? Use the product rule.
Didn't you see the "+" in my formula above?

HallsofIvy said:
HallsofIvy said:
(xex)'= (x)' ex+ x(ex)'
Are you just ignoring what you are told? Use the product rule.
Didn't you see the "+" in my formula above?

Yes I did see it and if you saw the other responses that followed you would also see that I fixed the mistake.

What is the general formula for finding the derivative of an equation with an exponent?

The general formula for finding the derivative of an equation with an exponent is d/dx(x^n) = nx^(n-1), where n is the exponent. This means that the exponent becomes the coefficient and the new exponent is one less than the original.

What are the steps for finding the derivative of an equation with an exponent?

The steps for finding the derivative of an equation with an exponent are:1. Identify the base and exponent in the equation.2. Multiply the exponent by the coefficient.3. Subtract 1 from the original exponent.4. Rewrite the equation with the new coefficient and exponent.5. Simplify the equation, if possible.

Can the power rule be used to find the derivative of any equation with an exponent?

Yes, the power rule can be used to find the derivative of any equation with an exponent, as long as the base remains constant. If the equation includes a variable in the base, the chain rule must also be applied.

What is the difference between finding the derivative of an equation with an exponent and finding the derivative of a regular polynomial equation?

The main difference between finding the derivative of an equation with an exponent and finding the derivative of a regular polynomial equation is that in the former, the exponent changes to become the coefficient, while in the latter, the exponent remains the same and is multiplied by the coefficient. Additionally, the power rule is used for equations with exponents, while the product rule and chain rule may also be required for polynomial equations.

Are there any special cases to consider when finding the derivative of an equation with an exponent?

Yes, there are a few special cases to consider when finding the derivative of an equation with an exponent. These include equations with a negative exponent, equations with a fractional exponent, and equations with a variable in the base. In these cases, the quotient rule and chain rule may be used in addition to the power rule.