1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the derrivative

1. Feb 26, 2006 #1
    Hey my teacher worked this problem out the other day and I wrote it down but now im having trouble understanding it. This is what he wrote. Can someone verify if it is correct.

[tex]y=\frac{e^{2u}}{e^u+e^{-u}}[/tex]

[tex]y'=\frac{(e^u+e^(-u))(e^(2u))(2)-e^(2u)(e^u+e^-u(-1))}{(e^u+e^-u)^2}[/tex]

[tex]y'=\frac{e^(2u)[2e^u+2e^-u-e^u+e^-u]}{(e^u+e^-u)^2}[/tex]

[tex]y'=\frac{e^(2u)[e^u+3e^-u]}{(e^u+e^-u)^2}[/tex]

What I don't understand is how in the step after the quotient rule was used there is in brackets [tex]-e^u+e^-u[/tex] Doesn't multiplying it by-1 make it [tex]e^u+e^-u[/tex]

Last edited: Feb 26, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2006 #2
    Oh forget it I can't use latex if my life depended on it. What a waste of time.

4. Feb 26, 2006 #3

benorin

Homework Helper

Here, I tried to clean it up a bit. Use {} for exponents instead of (), for example: e^{2u} instead of e^(2u). You can also double click on the Tex expression to see the code:

Last edited: Feb 27, 2006
  5. Feb 26, 2006 #4

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Would that be:
    [tex]y(u)=\frac{e^{2u}}{e^{u}+e^{-u}}[/tex]

6. Feb 26, 2006 #5
    Yes that is exactly what I wanted Benorin except i think for the (2) it should be on the outside of those brackets, and arildno yeah thats the original function. Thanks for fixing it.

So is the final answer correct? I'm confused because of the (-1) in brackets. I don't see how it could give a [tex]-e^u[/tex] when there is a negative times a negative.

edit:
    Ohhhh nevermind I see it now. Anyways this thread was not in vain. I got some good latex practice in. Thanks again.

7. Feb 26, 2006 #6

benorin

Homework Helper

Just to confirm (since I didn't really folow your question,) I compute the derivative as follows:

[tex]y=\frac{e^{2u}}{e^u+e^{-u}}\Rightarrow y^{\prime}=\frac{2e^{2u}(e^u+e^{-u})-e^{2u}(e^u-e^{-u})}{(e^u+e^{-u})^2} =\frac{e^{2u}(e^u+3e^{-u})}{(e^u+e^{-u})^2} [/tex]

Yep, same as you.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2006
  8. Feb 28, 2006 #7
    Thank you for confirming it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?