Finding The Dielectric Constant?

In summary, a student asked if it was possible to find dielectric values for different materials in parallel plate systems. They found an equation for calculating capacitance (k=Cd/epsilonzero*A) but were unsure of how to calculate the new capacitance with a dielectric present. They later discovered a simpler equation (K=Eoriginal/Edielectric) and clarified that the distance between plates (d) would remain constant even with a dielectric inserted. A respondent confirmed this and clarified that only k would change.
sanitykey
Hi, I'm currently an A2 student and was wondering is it possible to find dielectric values for different materials placed within parallel plate systems. I have an idea but i think doing this is more complicated than i expect. I found the equation:

k=Cd/epsilonzero*A

d = distance between the plates
A = surface area of one of the plates
epsilonzero = 8.854*10^-12 C^2/N*m^2
C = capacitance after the dielectric is placed between the parallel plate system

The only problem is i can't think of another way to calculate the new capacitance.

<EDIT> Changed the main text body of my thread because i noticed some of the things i wrote didn't make sense.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
:redface: *cough*

ok i found a much simpler way to find the dielectric constant for parallel plate systems...

K = Eoriginal/Edielectric
K = Cdielectric/Coriginal

Where E=V/d

Would "d" be a constant if i didn't move the parallel plates further apart or closer together even after inserting the dielectric constant?

sanitykey said:
Would "d" be a constant if i didn't move the parallel plates further apart or closer together even after inserting the dielectric constant?

Yes it would. Only k would change upon insertion of the dielectric.

Claude.

Thanks Claude that makes things clearer. :smile:

1. What is the dielectric constant?

The dielectric constant, also known as the relative permittivity, is a measure of a material's ability to store electrical energy in an electric field. It is the ratio of the electric flux density produced in a material to the electric flux density produced in a vacuum by the same electric field.

2. Why is the dielectric constant important?

The dielectric constant is important because it affects the capacitance, or ability to store charge, of a material. It also determines the strength of the electric field within a material and its ability to withstand breakdown from high voltages.

3. How is the dielectric constant measured?

The dielectric constant can be measured using a capacitor, where the ratio of the charge stored on the capacitor plates with and without a dielectric material in between is calculated. It can also be measured using specialized instruments such as a dielectric constant meter or a vector network analyzer.

4. What factors affect the dielectric constant?

The dielectric constant is affected by factors such as temperature, frequency of the electric field, and the type and structure of the material. It also varies depending on the direction of the electric field in anisotropic materials.

5. How is the dielectric constant used in practical applications?

The dielectric constant is used in various practical applications such as designing electronic circuits, determining the strength of insulating materials, and calculating the capacitance of capacitors. It is also important in the development of materials for use in electronic devices and in the study of dielectric properties of materials.