Finding the distance between two fringes in a double slit experiment

In summary, a double slit experiment is a scientific experiment used to demonstrate wave interference. It involves passing light through two narrow slits and observing the resulting interference pattern. The distance between two fringes in this experiment is important for determining the wavelength of the light and understanding its properties. It can be calculated using the formula d = λL/D, and can be affected by factors such as the wavelength of the light, the distance between the slits and the screen, and any obstructions in the setup. While the distance between two fringes can be changed by adjusting the distance between the slits and the screen or changing the wavelength of the light, the distance between the two slits remains constant.
prettykitty

Homework Statement

Blue light of wavelength 400 nm passes through two slits which are a distance
d = 1×10−4 m apart. This produces a double slit pattern on a screen L = 12 m away. (The
screen is parallel to the plane of the two slits.) If the central bright fringe is denoted the
“m=0 fringe”, what is the distance between the m = 15 and m = 14 bright fringe on the
screen? (All angles are sufficiently small that tan θ ≈ sin θ ≈ θ.)

Homework Equations

dsin(θ) = mλ
y = L tan(θ)

The Attempt at a Solution

arcsin[(15*400e-9)/1e-4] = 3.44°
y= 12 * tan (3.44) = .72 m

arcsin[(14*400e-9)/1e-4] = 3.21°
y= 12 * tan (3.21) = .67 m

y2-y1 = .72-.67 = .05 m

That was my attempt. First to find out how far the 14th and 15th bright fringe were from the center and then to find the distance between them.
The answer given by the instructor is: .113 m or 11.3 cm.
But why? I still can't find anything wrong with my train of thought. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem specifies small angles, so ##\sin\theta\simeq \tan\theta\simeq y/L## and hence ##y=mL\lambda/d##. The distance between the 14th and 15th fringes is, therefore, ##\Delta y=(15-14)L\lambda/d##. Plugging in your numbers gives me 4.8cm.

In other words, I agree with you.

Ibix said:
The problem specifies small angles, so ##\sin\theta\simeq \tan\theta\simeq y/L## and hence ##y=mL\lambda/d##. The distance between the 14th and 15th fringes is, therefore, ##\Delta y=(15-14)L\lambda/d##. Plugging in your numbers gives me 4.8cm.

In other words, I agree with you.

you realized you grabbed this thread and the other one out of 3 year old archives ?? :wink::wink:

They were in the Open Practice Problems forum when I answered them, so yes I did. I used to be an optics guy, and was enjoying a spot of nostalgia answering them.

What is a double slit experiment?

A double slit experiment is a scientific experiment that demonstrates the principle of wave interference. It involves passing a beam of light through two narrow slits and observing the resulting interference pattern on a screen.

Why is it important to find the distance between two fringes in a double slit experiment?

The distance between two fringes in a double slit experiment is important because it helps determine the wavelength of the light being used in the experiment. This information can then be used to understand the properties of the light source and the nature of light itself.

How is the distance between two fringes calculated?

The distance between two fringes can be calculated using the formula d = λL/D, where d is the distance between two fringes, λ is the wavelength of the light, L is the distance between the double slits and the screen, and D is the distance between the two slits.

What are the factors that can affect the distance between two fringes?

The distance between two fringes can be affected by the wavelength of the light, the distance between the double slits and the screen, the distance between the two slits, and any obstructions or imperfections in the setup of the experiment.

Can the distance between two fringes be changed?

Yes, the distance between two fringes can be changed by adjusting the distance between the double slits and the screen, or by changing the wavelength of the light source. However, the distance between the two slits remains constant in a double slit experiment.