Finding Distance: Solve for Height from 1.77s Drop Time

• Thread starter mmaggiee
  • Start date
In summary, our class dropped a golf ball from an unknown height and it took 1.77 seconds to hit the ground. We are now tasked with finding the height using the distance formula, d = vit + 1/2 at^2, with the given values of t = 1.77s, vi = 0m/s, and acc = 9.8 m/s^2. After solving, the height was determined to be 15.35m.
mmaggiee
Our class dropped a golf ball from an unknown height. The time it took for the golf ball to hit the ground was 1.77 seconds. We are now required to find the height from this information. I'd just like to run over the problem with you guys.

So:

t = 1.77s
vi = 0m/s
acc = 9.8 m/s^2 (Due to gravity, correct?)
d = ?

I'm suspecting that I use the distance formula of:

d= vit + 1/2 at^2

so that the height is:

15.35m?

---

I apologize for the simplicity of the problem, but I'd really appreciate help.

Physics news on Phys.org
yes, that's the right approach and the right solution

What is the formula for finding distance from a 1.77s drop time?

The formula for finding distance is d = 0.5 * g * t^2, where d is distance, g is acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and t is time.

How do you solve for height using a 1.77s drop time?

To solve for height, you can use the formula h = 0.5 * g * t^2, where h is height, g is acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and t is time. Plug in the given drop time of 1.77 seconds and solve for h.

Why is a 1.77s drop time used in this calculation?

A 1.77s drop time is often used in this calculation because it is a commonly used time for experiments and provides a reasonable amount of time for an object to fall, making it easier to measure accurately.

What units should be used for the final answer when solving for height?

The final answer for height should be in meters (m) as it is a unit of measurement for distance.

Can this formula be used for any object dropped at 1.77 seconds?

Yes, this formula can be used for any object dropped at 1.77 seconds as long as the object is in free fall and there are no other external forces acting on it. It assumes that acceleration due to gravity is constant and the object is dropped from rest.