1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the E field due to an infinitely long cylinder (Given volume charge density)

1. Oct 13, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An infinitely long cylinder of radius 4.0 cm carries a uniform volume charge density
    ρ = 200 nC/m^3 What is the electric field at r = 8.0 cm

2. Relevant equations
    I'm confused as to how to do this problem, I've tried converting from volume charge density to simply charge density λ and then solving with the equation for the E field due to an infiinite line charge, but this doesnt give me the right answer.

3. The attempt at a solution
    (200 x10 ^-9)((4/3)(pi)(.04^3)) = Q

λ = Q / L so λ = Q (as we're taking L to be 1 meter in the above equation)

Efield due to infinite line charge= 2kλ/(.08)

the correct answer is supposed to be .23kN/c
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2011 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: Finding the E field due to an infinitely long cylinder (Given volume charge densi

It looks like there is enough symmetry to use Gauss's Law.

4. Oct 13, 2011 #3
    Re: Finding the E field due to an infinitely long cylinder (Given volume charge densi

I know but I tried finding Q as I showed above, by taking ρ = 200nC/m^3 and multiplying it by the volume (4/3 pi (.04)^3) to get Q = 5.36E-11

I then use Gauss's law: E(4pi(.08)^2) = 5.36E-11/ε0

this however gives me E = 75.306

What am I doing wrong?

5. Oct 13, 2011 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

(4/3)πR3 is the volume of a sphere of radius, R.

You should be working with a cylinder.

6. Oct 13, 2011 #5

Edit: never mind I found the answer, Thanks again for the help.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
  7. Oct 13, 2011 #6

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

A cylinder of height 1 m is OK. A radius of 4 cm will give you the charge enclosed by a cylinder of height 1 m and radius of 8 cm, which is your Gaussian surface.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook