Finding Electric Field of Charged Dielectric Sphere

In summary, you need to integrate rho over the volume of the sphere to get q, then use that in V=kQ/R to get V=(QR^2/repsilon0)cos(theta). Then you need to take the negative gradient to get E.
khfrekek1992

Homework Statement

There is a charged dielectric sphere of radius R. I center it at the origin of an x,y,z cartesian system. It has a charge density rho=3Qcos(theta)/4*Pi*R^3. Q and R are given.

I need to find the Electric field at a point that is outside the sphere.

Homework Equations

int(E*dA)=Q_in/Epsilon0

The Attempt at a Solution

int(E*dA)=Q_in/Epsilon0
E(4*Pi*r^2)=(rho)(4/3)*Pi*r^3)/epsilon0
E=3Qcos(theta)r/12*Pi*epsilon0*R^3 in the r-hat direction

Is this right? Dont I have to figure out the field in the x-hat, y-hat, and z-hat directions? How does this work if my E is in the r-hat direction?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org

It appears that you are trying to use Gauss's Law to find the electric field. The charge density depends on θ, so there isn't enough symmetry for Gauss's Law to be of help here.

It looks like you will have to use direct integration to find either electric field, E, or electric potential, V.

Thanks for the reply. I tried integrating rho directly earlier, but always got 0 because sin evaluated from 0 to Pi is always 0. :(

Find the Electric field at a point outside a charged sphere

Homework Statement

There is a charged dielectric sphere of radius R. I center it at the origin of an x,y,z cartesian system. It has a charge density rho=3Qcos(theta)/4*Pi*R^3. Q and R are given.

I need to find the Electric field at a point that is outside the sphere.

Homework Equations

E=-(grad)V
V=kq/r

The Attempt at a Solution

I integrated rho over the volume of the sphere to get q=(Pi/2)Qcos(theta)
then used V=q/4*pi*epsilon0r to get v=(Qcos(theta))/(8epsilon0*r)

How do i split this voltage into x,y, and z components so i can take the gradient to get E at a certain (x,y,z) point?

Thanks in advance

Yeah haha it is the same but I am doing the problem completely different now(from your suggestion) and am now stuck at a different part :/

Yes, the net charge is indeed zero. Integrating the cosine from 0 to π does give zero.

That doesn't mean that the electric potential and/or the electric field are zero. (The same can be said for an electric dipole.)

Oh okay that makes sense, thank you! So I found the potential by taking kq/r, and now I am taking -(grad)V to get E. So I have E=-(d/dxx-hat+d/dyy-hat+d/dzz-hat)*(3Qcos(theta))/4*Pi*R^3Epsilon0

is that right?

oh wait if i take the gradient of that I get 0 in every direction..

khfrekek1992 said:
Oh okay that makes sense, thank you! So I found the potential by taking kq/r, and now I am taking -(grad)V to get E. So I have E=-(d/dxx-hat+d/dyy-hat+d/dzz-hat)*(3Qcos(theta))/4*Pi*R^3Epsilon0

is that right?
How did you find V ?

See below

Last edited:

Actually, I guess I should Multiply the charge density by the volume of the sphere to get Q, then use that in V=kQ/R to get V=(QR^2/repsilon0)cos(theta) Where everything except for r and theta is a known constant. Then I need to take the negative gradient to get E. I just don't know how to take the x,y, and z derivatives of that voltage, because they would all be 0? :/

khfrekek1992 said:
Yeah haha it is the same but I am doing the problem completely different now(from your suggestion) and am now stuck at a different part :/

Please do not multiple post. It is against the PF rules.

Two threads merged into one.

1. How do you calculate the electric field of a charged dielectric sphere?

To calculate the electric field of a charged dielectric sphere, you can use the formula E = (1/4πε0) * (Q/R2) * (1 - k) where Q is the charge of the sphere, R is the radius of the sphere, and k is the relative permittivity of the dielectric material.

2. What is the role of the relative permittivity in finding the electric field of a charged dielectric sphere?

The relative permittivity, also known as the dielectric constant, is a measure of how well a material can store electric charge. It affects the strength of the electric field around a charged dielectric sphere, and is used in the calculation of the electric field using the formula E = (1/4πε0) * (Q/R2) * (1 - k).

3. How does the electric field change when the dielectric material inside the sphere is changed?

The electric field of a charged dielectric sphere will decrease when the relative permittivity of the material inside the sphere is increased. This is because a higher relative permittivity means the material can store more charge, reducing the electric field strength. The electric field will increase if the relative permittivity is decreased.

4. Can the electric field of a charged dielectric sphere be negative?

Yes, the electric field of a charged dielectric sphere can be negative under certain conditions. This can occur when the charge on the sphere is negative and the relative permittivity of the material inside the sphere is greater than 1.

5. How does the electric field at the surface of a charged dielectric sphere compare to that of a charged conductor?

The electric field at the surface of a charged dielectric sphere is not affected by the presence of a dielectric material inside the sphere, unlike a charged conductor. The electric field at the surface of a charged conductor is zero due to the redistribution of charges, while the electric field at the surface of a charged dielectric sphere is nonzero and follows the inverse square law.