1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the Electric Field

1. Sep 30, 2006 #1
    Greetings everyone:
    I'm trying to solve a problem which requires finding the electric field. I've been pondering on this problem for a while but still no results. The book doesn't give any hints or clues on how to tackle this kind of problems so I would really appreciate some of your suggestions.

Assume that the z= 0 plane separates two lossless diaelectric regions with Epsilon(r1) = 2 and Epsilon(r2)=3. If we know that E1 in region 1 is 2y i - 3x j + (5+z) k, what is E2?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2006 #2

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What are the boundary conditions on the electric field at the interface between the two dielectric regions?
  4. Oct 1, 2006 #3
    Thanks Siddharth, but if we draw a picture of the two media, geometrically we can conclude that E1t = E2t where E1t=E1-E1n and the same with E2t (I guess you get the picture). I don't see how this would help. Moreover we are dealing with 3-D ( I guess I might have understood it if it was 2-D).

I'm editing the post: Thanks for your help, I understand it now.
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2006
  5. Oct 1, 2006 #4
    I'm actually dealing with a similar problem right now. The way I understand it, is that the two boundary conditions are:

[tex] E_{1t} = E_{2t} [/tex]
    [tex] \vec a _{n2} \cdot (\vec D_1 - \vec D_2) = \rho_s [/tex]

For the first one,
    [itex] E_{1t} = E_{2t} [/itex] means the tangential components are the same. This tripped me up a bit... and I'm still a little uneasy doing these problems. Anyhow you have a plane that separates the media [itex] z = 0 [/itex]. So what can you say about the relationship between all the vectors of [itex] \vec E_1(x,y,z=0) [/itex] and [itex] \vec E_2(x,y,z=0) [/itex].
    All of those vectors are tangential to the interface. So you can conclude that only the normal component (in this case it would be [itex] E_{z2}, [/itex]) is going to change when crossing the interface. Since you know that the tangential components are the same (from the relation above), you are left with:

[tex] \vec E_2 = \vec a_x E_{1x} + \vec a_y E_{1y} + \vec a_z \bar E_{2z} [/tex]

where the bar was used for emphasis on[itex]\bar E_{2z} [/itex] (the z component of the vector).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?