1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the Electric Potential

1. Nov 6, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    8 Charged drops of water each of radius 1 mm and having a charge of 10^(-10) Coloumbs are combined to form a bigger drop.Determine the potential of the bigger drop.

2. Relevant equations
    Does the radius becomes 4*10^(-3)m,when it combines?
    Does the charge sum up to 9*10^(-10)?

3. The attempt at a solution
    Used the formula -V=9*10^(9)*Q/r
    Got the ans as 1800 V.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2014 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I don't think so. It's probably easier to work with the mm units that were given.
    What's the volume of one rain drop?
    If you combine 8 rain drops into one bigger drop, what is the volume of this larger drop? What's its radius?

4. Nov 7, 2014 #3
    I assume the volume to be (4/3)*(pi)*r^3,where r is 1 mm.
    But what potential has to do with Volume.i am quit weak in this subject

5. Nov 7, 2014 #4

Mark44

Or more simply, 4/3 ##\pi##, the volume of one rain drop,
    From the formula you wrote in post #1, the potential V is a function of the radius r.
    If 8 rain drops combine into one larger drop, what's the volume of the larger rain drop? What's the radius of the larger rain drop?

6. Nov 7, 2014 #5
    i hope it adds up linearliy,that means ,radius of larger frop =8* 1mm (radius of each smaller drop)

7. Nov 7, 2014 #6

Mark44

No, it doesn't.
    The volumes add like you think they would, but the radius of the combined raindrop is NOT 8mm.

8. Nov 8, 2014 #7
    the bigger radius becomes twice the smaller radius ie 2 mm.But what about the charge ?

9. Nov 8, 2014 #8

Mark44

2 mm is more like it. I'm pretty sure the charge is additive.

10. Nov 13, 2014 #9
    THank you Mark44,for helping me to reach to the answer.You made me think,which i already knew

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted