How Do You Calculate Electric Potential Energy with Given Charges and Distance?

• Thread starter bobsmith76
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electrical
In summary: The potential energy of the system is the potential energy of the first charge plus the potential energy of the second charge.
bobsmith76

Homework Statement

The electric potential difference due to a point charge is 4.8 V at a distance of 4.2 cm from the charge. What will be the electric potential energy of the system if a second charge of +6.0 μC is placed at that location?

Homework Equations

V = (EQ)/q
V = kq/r
ΔV = W/q

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried all three equations but none of them give me the right answer.

I try to find the charge of the first point

step 1. 4.8 = kx/.042

step 2. .042(4.8) = kx

step 3 (.042(4.8))/k = x

step 4 = 2.24 * 10^-11 (that seems like a ridiculously small number, most charges are 10^-6. Adding 6*10^-6 will do nothing to the number, so I must be doing something wrong. I just can't figure out what. Even if I do get the right number and I add the charge I can't figure out what equation to use next.

Physics news on Phys.org
bobsmith76 said:
V = (EQ)/q
V = kq/r
ΔV = W/q

Write down formula of potential energy and potential side by side,
then you'll know a much simpler method, and btw your calculation are fine, it doesn't mater how small a charge is

smallest possible free charge is e = 1.6 * 10-19

bobsmith76 said:
step 4 = 2.24 * 10^-11 (that seems like a ridiculously small number, most charges are 10^-6. Adding 6*10^-6 will do nothing to the number, so I must be doing something wrong. I just can't figure out what. Even if I do get the right number and I add the charge I can't figure out what equation to use next.

Make sure that you know the difference between the potential at a location and potential energy of the system as a whole. The problem statement suggests that the second charge is being brought to the location where the potential due to the first charge is 4.8V, 4.2 cm from the first charge; it's not being added to the first charge.

Last edited:

What is "finding the electrical"?

"Finding the electrical" refers to the process of locating the source of electrical power or detecting an electrical current in a particular system or object.

Why is it important to find the electrical?

It is important to find the electrical in order to identify and troubleshoot any issues or malfunctions in electrical systems, ensure safety, and make necessary repairs or adjustments.

What tools are used for finding the electrical?

There are various tools that can be used for finding the electrical, such as multimeters, voltage detectors, circuit tracers, and thermal imaging cameras.

What are some common signs of electrical problems?

Some common signs of electrical problems include flickering lights, power outages, burning smells, tripped circuit breakers, and buzzing or crackling sounds.

Is it safe for non-professionals to try to find the electrical?

It is generally not recommended for non-professionals to attempt to find the electrical on their own, as it can be dangerous and requires specialized knowledge and training. It is best to consult a licensed electrician for any electrical issues.