1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the electrical

1. Jan 15, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The electric potential difference due to a point charge is 4.8 V at a distance of 4.2 cm from the charge. What will be the electric potential energy of the system if a second charge of +6.0 μC is placed at that location?

2. Relevant equations

V = (EQ)/q
    V = kq/r
    ΔV = W/q

3. The attempt at a solution

I've tried all three equations but none of them give me the right answer.

I try to find the charge of the first point

step 1. 4.8 = kx/.042

step 2. .042(4.8) = kx

step 3 (.042(4.8))/k = x

step 4 = 2.24 * 10^-11 (that seems like a ridiculously small number, most charges are 10^-6. Adding 6*10^-6 will do nothing to the number, so I must be doing something wrong. I just can't figure out what. Even if I do get the right number and I add the charge I can't figure out what equation to use next.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 15, 2012 #2
    Write down formula of potential energy and potential side by side,
    then you'll know a much simpler method, and btw your calculation are fine, it doesn't mater how small a charge is

smallest possible free charge is e = 1.6 * 10-19

4. Jan 15, 2012 #3

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Make sure that you know the difference between the potential at a location and potential energy of the system as a whole. The problem statement suggests that the second charge is being brought to the location where the potential due to the first charge is 4.8V, 4.2 cm from the first charge; it's not being added to the first charge.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook