Finding the EMF of the cell

• Thread starter oooouftt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cell Emf
In summary, the conversation is about finding the EMF of a cell in a circuit with resistors in series and parallel. The equations used are Rs= R1 + R2 + R3 for resistors in series, and 1/Rp = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 and V=IR for resistors in parallel. The person attempted to simplify the circuit and found the total resistance in the parallel section with 0.2A current, but their answer of 4.8V was incorrect. They were reminded that this only gives the voltage across the branch, not the EMF of the battery.
oooouftt
Finding the EMF of the cell...

first post =)

Homework Statement

Find the EMF of the cell.
(diagram has been uploaded)

Homework Equations

Resistors is series : Rs= R1 + R2 + R3
Resistors in parallel: 1/Rp = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/r3
V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

Firstly i re-drew the circuit in a more simple form, to see what resistors are in parralel and which ones are in series. I then found the total resistance in the parralel circuit part that contained the 0.2A current. after that i used : V=IR.
My answer still seems incorrect as i got total EMF = 4.8V

Attachments

• physics circuit2.bmp
    148 KB · Views: 598
Physics news on Phys.org

oooouftt said:
I then found the total resistance in the parralel circuit part that contained the 0.2A current. after that i used : V=IR.
That would tell you the voltage across that branch (and all parallel branches), but that's not the EMF of the battery.

Show exactly what you did, step by step.

As a scientist, it is important to approach problems with a critical and analytical mindset. In this case, it is crucial to gather all the necessary information and data before attempting to find the EMF of the cell. This includes understanding the circuit diagram and identifying the resistors in series and parallel, as well as their values.

Based on the given information, it seems that the student has correctly identified the resistors in series and parallel and has used the correct equations to find the total resistance in the parallel circuit. However, the calculation of the total EMF may be incorrect.

It is important to note that EMF (electromotive force) is the potential difference created by the cell, and it is equal to the voltage across the cell when there is no current flowing. In this case, the current flowing through the circuit is 0.2A, which means that there is a voltage drop across the resistors. Therefore, the total EMF of the cell cannot simply be calculated by multiplying the current by the total resistance.

To accurately calculate the EMF of the cell, it is necessary to use Kirchhoff's laws and Ohm's law to analyze the circuit and find the voltage across the cell. This may also require taking into consideration the internal resistance of the cell.

In conclusion, while the student has made a good attempt at finding the EMF of the cell, it is important to double-check the calculation and consider all the necessary factors to ensure an accurate answer.

What is the EMF of a cell?

The EMF, or electromotive force, of a cell is the measure of the energy that the cell can provide to an electric current. It is also known as the cell's voltage.

How do you find the EMF of a cell?

To find the EMF of a cell, you can use a voltmeter to measure the voltage difference between the cell's two electrodes. This will give you the cell's EMF in volts.

What factors affect the EMF of a cell?

The EMF of a cell can be affected by several factors, including the type of electrode materials used, the concentration of electrolytes in the cell, and the temperature.

How does the EMF of a cell relate to its internal resistance?

The EMF of a cell is related to its internal resistance through Ohm's Law, which states that the voltage (EMF) is equal to the current multiplied by the resistance. Therefore, a higher internal resistance will result in a lower EMF.

Why is it important to find the EMF of a cell?

Knowing the EMF of a cell is important in understanding its performance and efficiency in producing electric current. It is also important in determining the direction and strength of the current flowing through the cell.