Energy Losses in a Circuit with a Switching Element

• Thread starter Ivan Antunovic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary: I can also see that a complete solution via Laplace transforms will be messy since there are three separate energy storage devices. So I'm not sure what to recommend at the moment. :frown:In summary, the problem involves determining the total amount of energy converted to heat in a circuit of resistance when a switch is opened and the circuit is in a new steady state. The initial conditions and steady state conditions are identified and the stored energy in each component (inductor and capacitors) is calculated. However, it is uncertain if this accounts for all the energy as there may be damped oscillations and current flow in either direction, resulting in energy diss
Ivan Antunovic

Homework Statement

By the time t = 0 network has been in steady state. At time t = 0, the switch S
switches off. Determine the total amount of energy converted to heat in the circle of resistance to the establishment of a new steady state.

Homework Equations

DSC_0950.jpg

DSC_0951.jpg
[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

Picture,attached.
Okay before the switch is opened, both C and C2 are short circuited,so initial current i(0)=E/R.
So I had this approach,okay let's find voltages on the capacitors vc(t) and from ic(t) = C* dv/dt , I will get a current and then it's easy to find the energy since it's integral of i*R^2 *dt (from 0 to infinity).
I wrote down KCLs and KVLs,and used laplace transform,but things got really complicated,I think my approach isn't right(atleast not the shortest one).
Are those laplace transforms that I wrote,even correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your images do not identify where the switch is located. Also, it is difficult to read and comment on workings in image form. It is much preferable to type them out so that helpers can quote and comment on individual lines. The built-in LaTeX syntax interpretation of PF can help there.

For this type of problem where you're looking for the energy dissipated between two steady states, it generally suffices to find the stored energy in each of the steady states and take the difference. So the first thing to do is identify the conditions at each of the steady states.

gneill said:
Your images do not identify where the switch is located. Also, it is difficult to read and comment on workings in image form. It is much preferable to type them out so that helpers can quote and comment on individual lines. The built-in LaTeX syntax interpretation of PF can help there.

For this type of problem where you're looking for the energy dissipated between two steady states, it generally suffices to find the stored energy in each of the steady states and take the difference. So the first thing to do is identify the conditions at each of the steady states.

I forgot to upload a picture,it was very late so I guess that's the reason,sorry.
So before the switch is opened:
We have both R and C2 short circuited,initial current is [tex] i(-0)= E/R [/tex],no current goes through a capacitor so i(-0) is actually current going through inductor,so stored energy in inductor is [tex]WL(-0)=0.5 * L* (i(-0))^2 = 0.5 * L * (E/R)^2[/tex] ,okay now if I make KVL for a first loop ,I get [tex] +E-i(-0)*R-vc(-0)=0[/tex],therefore
[tex]vc(-0)=E-i(-0)*R= E-R*(E/R)=E-E=0 [/tex],which was obvious since there is no induced voltage since we are dealing with DC current(I am not quite sure If I can say 'no voltage drop across inductor',since physicists going to kill me because there is never electric field in the ideal inductor so equation ,integral of E*dl = 0 cannot be applied).
After the switch is opened and after the transient process is over,there is no current flowing, because both C and C1 are charged and they are connected in parallel since no voltage drop on the resistances,and inductor is a short circuit here,and I get Vc(infinity)=Vc2(infinity)=E.
Therefore stored energy in the capacitors [tex] Wc(infinity)=0.5 * C * E^2 , Wc1(infinity)=0.5*C1*E^2.[/tex][tex]\Delta E=( (0.5*E^2)*(C+C1) ) - (0.5*L (E/R)^2 ) = 0.5 * E^2 (C+C1-(L/R^2)) [/tex]

Should this be okay?

Attachments

• Circuit 2.png
    Circuit 2.png
    42 KB · Views: 383
Ivan Antunovic said:
I forgot to upload a picture,it was very late so I guess that's the reason,sorry.
So before the switch is opened:
We have both R and C2 short circuited,initial current is [tex] i(-0)= E/R [/tex],no current goes through a capacitor so i(-0) is actually current going through inductor,so stored energy in inductor is [tex]WL(-0)=0.5 * L* (i(-0))^2 = 0.5 * L * (E/R)^2[/tex] ,okay now if I make KVL for a first loop ,I get [tex] +E-i(-0)*R-vc(-0)=0[/tex],therefore
[tex]vc(-0)=E-i(-0)*R= E-R*(E/R)=E-E=0 [/tex],which was obvious since there is no induced voltage since we are dealing with DC current(I am not quite sure If I can say 'no voltage drop across inductor',since physicists going to kill me because there is never electric field in the ideal inductor so equation ,integral of E*dl = 0 cannot be applied).
After the switch is opened and after the transient process is over,there is no current flowing, because both C and C1 are charged and they are connected in parallel since no voltage drop on the resistances,and inductor is a short circuit here,and I get Vc(infinity)=Vc2(infinity)=E.
Therefore stored energy in the capacitors [tex] Wc(infinity)=0.5 * C * E^2 , Wc1(infinity)=0.5*C1*E^2.[/tex][tex]\Delta E=( (0.5*E^2)*(C+C1) ) - (0.5*L (E/R)^2 ) = 0.5 * E^2 (C+C1-(L/R^2)) [/tex]

Should this be okay?So basically that difference of energy in reactive elements is always lost energy,dissipated in the resistor?

I'm thinking about this. Not knowing the position of the switch initially, I thought perhaps the inductors and capacitors would end up isolated so that no new energy could enter the loop. But now I can see that there is the possibility of damped oscillations while the battery E continues to supply energy to charge the capacitors to their final value. I'm not sure that the difference in stored energy between the states will account for all the energy. Current can actually flow back through the battery during the oscillations, and current flowing in either direction still burns energy in the resistors.

I can also see that a complete solution via Laplace transforms will be messy since there are three separate energy storage devices. So I'm not sure what to recommend at the moment. :frown:

gneill said:
I'm thinking about this. Not knowing the position of the switch initially, I thought perhaps the inductors and capacitors would end up isolated so that no new energy could enter the loop. But now I can see that there is the possibility of damped oscillations while the battery E continues to supply energy to charge the capacitors to their final value. I'm not sure that the difference in stored energy between the states will account for all the energy. Current can actually flow back through the battery during the oscillations, and current flowing in either direction still burns energy in the resistors.

I can also see that a complete solution via Laplace transforms will be messy since there are three separate energy storage devices. So I'm not sure what to recommend at the moment. :frown:
Okay,found the solution and it's correct,well there will be damped oscillations since we have R,L and C,but it doesn't matter right?We only care about the final state of the network.

Ivan Antunovic said:
Okay,found the solution and it's correct,well there will be damped oscillations since we have R,L and C,but it doesn't matter right?We only care about the final state of the network.
That was my initial thought (which I'm happy to have confirmed), but I wish I could think of a theorem that proves that the oscillations don't matter here.. I hate being right but not knowing why :mad:

gneill said:
That was my initial thought (which I'm happy to have confirmed), but I wish I could think of a theorem that proves that the oscillations don't matter here.. I hate being right but not knowing why :mad:
Well,it's quite intuitive that oscillations don't matter here.I don't know about the mathematical proof,but I like to think more as an engineer than as a mathematician.Maybe some good physicist could help us about the theorem.

1. What is the definition of energy losses?

Energy losses refer to the amount of energy that is dissipated or lost during a process or system. This can include energy lost through heat, friction, or inefficiencies in the system.

2. How do you measure energy losses?

Energy losses can be measured through various methods such as using energy meters, conducting energy audits, or performing calculations based on known energy inputs and outputs. Different processes may require different measurement techniques.

3. What are the common causes of energy losses?

Some common causes of energy losses include friction, air resistance, inefficient equipment or systems, and human error. These losses can occur in various industries and processes, leading to increased energy consumption and costs.

4. How can energy losses be reduced?

Energy losses can be reduced through various methods such as implementing energy-efficient technologies, conducting regular maintenance and inspections, and training employees on energy-saving practices. Identifying and addressing the root causes of energy losses is key to reducing them.

5. Why is it important to find and reduce energy losses?

Finding and reducing energy losses is important for several reasons. It can help to decrease energy consumption, lower energy costs, and increase the overall efficiency and sustainability of a process or system. It also contributes to reducing carbon emissions and promoting a more environmentally friendly approach to energy usage.