1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the Flux Problem

1. Dec 10, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let v = -j be the velocity field of a fluid in 3 dimensional space. Computer the flow rate through the T of a triangular region with vertices (1,0,0) (0,1,0) (0,0,1) oriented with upward pointing normal vector

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    So can I use stokes theorem here to find the flux?
    ∫∫∇xF dS where F is the velocity field?

and then since this is a vector suface integral dS will equal n du dv?
    What are my limits of integration? How do I parameterize this triangle in terms of u and v?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2013 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi PsychonautQQ! :smile:
    You won't have to bother with parametrisation if you choose your surface(s) so that the integral is obvious …

so can you choose them perpendicular to the three axes? :wink:

4. Dec 10, 2013 #3
    I'm a little confused on what you mean by choose them perpendicular to the three axes. Perpendicular to the triangle you mean?

On the other hand I was thinking, do I even need calculus for this problem? Can't I just see that the vector only has a k component, and that if I project the triangle down to the xy plane it has an area of (1*1)/2 = .5.
    So could the flux from the velocity vector of -j just be -1*.5 = -.5?

5. Dec 10, 2013 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi PsychonautQQ! :wink:
    I meant the x y and z axes.
    Yes! (but don't you need to mention the divergence theorem?) :smile:

6. Dec 10, 2013 #5
    Mention divergence theorem? does divergence theorem give the flux?

∫∫∫(∇ dot F) dV?

that would mean
    ∫∫∫(-1) dxdydz where x y and z all go from 0 to 1? which would give the answer of -1 rather than .5 ;-(

My final answer is supposed to be a "flow rate" through the triangular area with an upward pointing normal vector. I don't know the units for this, and can a flow rate be negative like the -.5 answer that you approved of?

7. Dec 10, 2013 #6

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There are shortcuts as you and TinyTim are discussing, but at this stage of your work I would suggest you don't use them. Remember your parameters ##u,v## can always be chosen among the original ##x,y,z## variables if convenient. In this problem your flux is in the negative ##y## direction (not ##z##) so is perpendicular to the ##xz## plane. So why not try letting ##x=x,~z=z,~y =1-x-z## be your parameterization:$$
    \vec R(x,z) = \langle x,1-x-z,z\rangle$$and work out the flux integral. You may still see some shortcuts arise.

8. Dec 10, 2013 #7

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

yes … that's basically why it's called divergence! :wink:

no, you're missing the point …

you don't need to do a ∫∫∫, because divF = … ? :smile:
    yup! :biggrin:

that's why they specified "upward pointing normal" …

if it was downward pointing normal, the flux would be minus that, ie +.5

(and the flux is presumably volume per time: if v was given in metres per second, then that would be cubic metres per second, but v is unrealistically given without units, so the flux will have to be written without units)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted