Calculating Force with Mass and Velocity: A Quick Guide

In summary, the conversation discusses how to solve a physics problem involving a car with a mass of 1320 kg moving in the +x direction with a speed of 21.5 m/s and finding the force needed to stop the car in a distance of 145 m. The problem is solved using the equations of motion for constant acceleration and the force is determined to be -2104 N. The units are corrected from J to N and the conversation briefly touches on the concepts of impulse and acceleration.
:(, oh I forgot about part B, alright back to it again

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay so

(-2104 J) (145m) = -305080 J?

frogjg, going back to impulse and acceleration, isn't impulse the first derivative of acceleration? Meaning if acceleration is constant, there is no impulse?

Dejahboi, that's what I got.

Thanks!

That's not right either.

velocity is distance per time: m/s
acceleration is velocity per time: m/s/s=m/s^2
force is mass times acceleration: N=kg*m/s^2
work is force times distance: J=N*m=(kg*m/s^2)*m=kg*m^2/s^2

Keeping track of base units can sometimes be a pain, but you have to work through it.

Except mind your units. The force is in Newtons.

jamesnb said:
frogjg, going back to impulse and acceleration, isn't impulse the first derivative of acceleration? Meaning if acceleration is constant, there is no impulse?

I was taught that impulse was the integral of force, or the change in momentum. Jerk is the derivative of acceleration. If you want to continue this discussion, you can pm me. I don't want to clog up this thread with a tangent that will only serve to distract/confuse Dejahboi.

frogjg2003 said:
That's not right either.

velocity is distance per time: m/s
acceleration is velocity per time: m/s/s=m/s^2
force is mass times acceleration: N=kg*m/s^2
work is force times distance: J=N*m=(kg*m/s^2)*m=kg*m^2/s^2

Keeping track of base units can sometimes be a pain, but you have to work through it.

Thanks! I'll make note in my notebook with this info. This will help me with my next problem :). THanks again!

The internet is your friend. Wikipedia has pages for pretty much every unit imaginable. Google calculator can handle units. There is a site: wolframalpha.com that is basically a limited version of Mathematic, an analytic mathematics program. This is the age of the internet and you should take full advantage. Joining PF was just the beginning.