Finding the forces in equalibrium

• Thread starter Ester
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forces
In summary: Always post a free body diagram first. This makes things easy for both yourself and the rest of us trying to help.In summary, the woman leans against a vertical wall at an angle of 60 degrees above the horizontal. The wall exerts a force of 137.41 N on her shoulders, and the horizontal and vertical components of the force exerted on her shoes by the ground are unknown.
Ester
A woman who weighs 476 N is leaning against a smooth vertical wall at an agnle 60 degrees above the horizontal. Find (a) the force FN (directed perpendicular to the wall) exerted on her shoulders by the wall and the (b) horizontal and (c) vertical components of the force exerted on her shoes by the ground.

I know that the the vertical component is 476 N, the other one's I have no clue of how to do. I made the sum of the forces in the x direction zero. So I know that the force of static friction will equall the normal force exerted by the wall. I also made the sum of the torques to equal zero. So, FnLn = FwLw. I get my answer to be 137.41 N, but this is not right. Ln represents the lever arm's lengh. I used trig functions to get Lw=cos60 (0.75), and Ln=sin60 (1.5)

This is the drawing they provide the distance (hypotenuse) from the Fn to the ground as 1.5. This number is broken into 1.1 m for her feet to the waist and 0.4 m from waist to shoulders. The head isn't included since there is no force for it.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's a tricky question, I don't understand what's going on and how to solve it. Please help me if you can. :shy:

Last edited:
location of center of mass?

I suspect you are meant to assume that the woman's center of mass is at her waist, not midway between her feet and shoulders (as you assumed in your caculation).

yes that is true, but still, how would you solve it?

Ester said:
Use the corrected distance for Lw. You know Fw and Ln, so you can solve for Fn, and, as you have stated, that must equal the magnitude of horizontal force of static friction exerted on her shoes by the ground.

Always post a free body diagram first. This makes things easy for both yourself and the rest of us trying to help.

Wall
|\
|.\
|..\
|...\
|...\
|...\
|...\
|...\
|...\
|...60\
---------

From this diagram how can you conclude that the vertical component is her weight? The length of the hypotonuse is 476N. Whenever you see angles like this, you need to break it down into 'x' and 'y' components. Let's call that Fx and Fy. Here is a clue- Fx is the length of the base of the triangle and Fy is the height of the triangle. Remember every force has an equal and opposite force. Now in order to find the length of the base and height of the triangle, can you write out the trig equations?

Look at this example (problem #2) it's quite similar:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=82984&page=1&pp=15

Please post a free body diagram of your understanding.

Ester said:
As OlderDan points out, you'd solve it just like you did in your first post. Only this time using the correct location of the woman's weight (the corrected distance Lw). The method you were using looked OK to me.

1. What is meant by forces in equilibrium?

Forces in equilibrium refer to a state in which all the forces acting on an object are balanced, resulting in a net force of zero. This means that the object will remain at rest or continue to move at a constant velocity.

2. How do you find the forces in equilibrium?

To find the forces in equilibrium, you need to use the principle of equilibrium, which states that the sum of all the forces acting on an object in a specific direction must be equal to zero. This can be represented mathematically by setting up and solving equations using the known forces and their respective directions.

3. What are the types of forces that can be in equilibrium?

The types of forces that can be in equilibrium include gravitational force, normal force, tension force, and frictional force. These forces can act in different directions and magnitudes, but when they are balanced, the object will be in a state of equilibrium.

4. What is the significance of finding forces in equilibrium?

Finding forces in equilibrium is essential in understanding the stability and motion of objects. It allows us to analyze and predict the behavior of objects in different situations, such as when they are at rest or moving at a constant speed. This knowledge is crucial in fields such as engineering and physics.

5. What are the real-life applications of finding forces in equilibrium?

The concept of forces in equilibrium has various real-life applications, including building structures, bridges, and other constructions. It is also used in designing machines and vehicles, as well as understanding the movement of objects in space. Additionally, forces in equilibrium play a crucial role in sports, such as balancing on a tightrope or performing gymnastic routines.