Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the Fourier series

1. Apr 29, 2007 #1
    Hello... How can I find an appropriate 'periodic' function (associated with a
    Fourier series) to derive the following 2 sums?

[tex]1. \displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} \,\,\, \frac{\coth{(\pi k)}}{k^{3}} \,\,\, = \,\,\, \frac{7 \pi^{3}}{180}[/tex]

[tex]2. \displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} \,\,\, \frac{(-1)^{k+1}}{k^{3} \cdot \sinh{(\pi k)}} \,\,\, = \,\,\, \frac{\pi^{3}}{360}[/tex]

PS: I know how to derive both the above sums using complex analysis,
    i.e. for [1], I use

[tex]f(z) = \displaystyle \oint_{C_k \in \Box \;\ni\; k \to \infty} \,\,\, \frac{\cot{\pi z} \cdot \coth{\pi z}}{z^{3}} \;\;\; dz[/tex]

on a 'square' contour centered around z=0, and with poles at z=0 (of order 5),
    [tex]\pm1[/tex] (and all the rest are 'simple' poles), [tex]\pm2, \pm3, \pm4,... \pm{i}, \pm{2i}, \pm{3i}, \pm{4i},...[/tex]
    and for [2], I use

[tex]f(z) = \displaystyle \oint_{C_k \in \Box \;\ni\; k \to \infty} \,\,\, \frac{1}{z^{3} \cdot \sin{\pi z} \cdot \sinh{\pi z}} \;\;\; dz[/tex]

on a similarly defined contour.

But I wanted to know if it can also be done using a properly defined choice of
    [tex][x_0, x_0+T][/tex] piecewise smooth continuous 'periodic' function f(x),
    e.g. perhaps a parabolic+linear waveform associated with a Fourier series...
    that might look something like:

[tex]\displaymath f(x) = \left\{ \begin{array}{lll} ax^{2}+bx+c,& x_0 \leq x < x_0+\frac{T}{2}& [\,\,a,b,c \in \mathbb R\,\,] \\
    px+q, & x_0+\frac{T}{2} \leq x < x_0+T& [\,\,p,q \in \mathbb R\,\,] \end{array} \right \displaymath[/tex]

I would like to know the values (zero/non-zero) for [tex]a,b,c,p,q = \,\,\,?\,?\,?[/tex]

Thanks much.
    ---Nasim

Last edited: Apr 29, 2007
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted