Finding the Frictional Force between Two Blocks

In summary, the question asks to calculate the frictional force on block B, which is initially at rest on block A on a smooth frictionless floor. The coefficients of static and kinetic friction between the blocks are given, along with the masses of both blocks. The equation F_{fmax}=\mu_sm_Ag is used to determine if block B will slide on block A, and the normal force is found to be equal to the weight of block B. The normal force is a contact force and the reaction force of A pushing up on B is the equal and opposite force of B pushing down on A. Finally, the kinetic frictional force on block B is calculated to be 5.88N, indicating that block B will move
ubiquinone
Hi, I 'm just reviewing some forces problem. I have this one question that I was wondering if anyone could please clarify for me. Thank you.

Question: Block [tex]B[/tex] is initially at rest on block [tex]A[/tex], which is at rest on a smooth frictionless floor. There is friction between block [tex]A[/tex] and block [tex]B[/tex]. The coefficient of static friction between the blocks is [tex]0.200[/tex] and the coefficient of kinetic friction between the blocks is [tex]0.150[/tex]. [tex]m_A=6.00kg[/tex] and [tex]m_B=4.00kg[/tex]. A horizontal force of [tex]F=23.0N[/tex] is applied to block [tex]B[/tex].
Calculate the magnitude of the frictional force on block [tex]B[/tex] showing wheteher [tex]B[/tex] slides on [tex]A[/tex] or not.

In order to find out whether block [tex]B[/tex] would slide on block [tex]A[/tex], I need to find out if [tex]F_{fmax}[/tex] is less than or greater than the horizontal force [tex]F[/tex] applied on block [tex]B[/tex]
However, how can I find [tex]F_{fmax}[/tex]? Do I just use the formula [tex]F_{fmax}=\mu_sm_Ag[/tex]

I think it should be block A because the normal force of mass A is pushing block B up.

Physics news on Phys.org
ubiquinone said:
I think it should be block A because the normal force of mass A is pushing block B up.
The normal force is between A and B: Block B pushes down with the same force that Block A pushes up. What must that normal force be, considering that block B does not move vertically?

Sorry Doc Al, but I don't understand what you mean. Can you please give me more explanation on how to solve for the normal force. Thanks.

The normal force is actually the reaction force due to block B's weight downwards, NIII law. Try it now.

QuantumCrash said:
The normal force is actually the reaction force due to block B's weight downwards, NIII law.
I know what you mean, but I wouldn't say it quite like that. (Taking the usual definition of weight as the gravitational force that the Earth exerts on an object, the reaction force to weight is the gravitational force that the object exerts on the earth.)

Since block B has no vertical acceleration, the net vertical force on it must be zero. And since only two vertical forces act on block B:
(1) gravity, down
(2) the normal force from A, up​
the normal force on B must equal B's weight.

Normal force is a contact force between two surfaces. The "reaction" force of A pushing up on B is the equal and opposite force of B pushing down on A.

Thanks guys, I got it, so first check to see if [tex]m_B[/tex] will slide on block [tex]A[/tex]
[tex]F_{fmax}=\mu_Sm_Bg=(0.200)(4.00kg)(9.8N/kg)=7.84N[/tex]
Since [tex]F>F_{fmax}\Rightarrow[/tex] block [tex]B[/tex] will move
so frictional force on B would be kinetic friction [tex]F_{fk}=\mu_km_Bg=(0.15)(4.00kg)(9.8N/kg)=5.88N[/tex]

1. What is frictional force?

Frictional force is the resistance force that occurs when two surfaces come in contact and move against each other. It always acts in the opposite direction of the motion and its magnitude depends on the roughness and the force pressing the surfaces together.

2. How is frictional force measured?

Frictional force can be measured by using a device called a dynamometer, which measures the force required to move an object over a surface. The force required to overcome friction is the frictional force.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of frictional force?

The magnitude of frictional force is affected by the nature of the two surfaces in contact, the normal force pressing the surfaces together, and the roughness or smoothness of the surfaces. The type of motion and the speed can also impact the magnitude of frictional force.

4. How does frictional force impact motion?

Frictional force acts in the opposite direction of motion and therefore it can slow down or stop the motion of an object. It can also cause wear and tear on surfaces in contact, leading to changes in motion over time.

5. How can frictional force be reduced?

The amount of frictional force can be reduced by using lubricants, which create a layer between the surfaces and reduce the roughness. Reducing the force pressing the surfaces together or using smoother surfaces can also decrease the magnitude of frictional force.