1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the general solution of a first order diff eq with a variable coefficient

1. Oct 2, 2011 #1
    I have the following two questions to solve

Problem 1.

3x' + 1/t x = t

and

Problem 2.

x' + 1/t x = ln t

I have followed a method detailed in my textbook to try and get an answer for Problem 1 but am a bit unsure so if anyone can clarify my workings below before I spend time trying to solve Problem 2.

3x' + 1/t x = t

Fits the format dx/dt + g(t)x = f(t)

For the integrating factor I(t) = e^∫g(t) dt

∫1/t = ln t

e^ln t = t

Multiply both sides by I(t) so the equation becomes d/dt(I(t)x(t)) = I(t)f(t)

3 d/dt (tx) = t^2

Then I(t)x(t) = ∫I(t)f(t) dt + C

3tx = ∫t^2 dt + C

3tx = (t^3)/3 + C

x(t) = ((t^3)/3 + C)/3t

x(t) = 1/6t^2 + C1/3t^-1

Does this look right? If so I will attempt Problem 2. Thanks for any assistance.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2011 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

3*3 is NOT 6! Other than that, and the need for parentheses to make it clearer (most people would interpret "1/6t^2" as "1/(6t^2)" and I don't think that is what you mean), you are doing this correctly.

4. Oct 2, 2011 #3
    You are right my parentheses does need to be clearer.

My final answer should be:

x(t) = 1/9(t^2) + C1/3(t^-1)

Does that look better?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook