1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the gradient and maximum gradient at a point P for the surface z=2x^2+3y^2

1. Jan 17, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    For the surface z=2x^2+3y^2, find
    (i) the gradient at the point P (2,1,11) in the direction making an angle a with the x-axis;
    (ii) the maximum gradient at P and the value of a for which it occurs.

2. Relevant equations
    ma=[itex]\partial[/itex]z/[itex]\partial[/itex]x(cos(a))+[itex]\partial[/itex]z/[itex]\partial[/itex]y(sin(a))

If dma/da = 0 and d^2ma/da^2<0 the ma, is a maximum for that value of a

3. The attempt at a solution\partial

(i) Firstly I calculated:
    [itex]\partial[/itex]z/[itex]\partial[/itex]x = 4x
    [itex]\partial[/itex]z/[itex]\partial[/itex]y = 6y

Therefore applying equation: ma=[itex]\partial[/itex]z/[itex]\partial[/itex]x(cos(a))+[itex]\partial[/itex]z/[itex]\partial[/itex]y(sin(a)) at P(2,1,11)

We get:

ma=8cos(a)+6sin(a)
    (I am quite sure this is correct, I don't have answers so if I am doing something wrong can someone please inform me.

(ii) This is where I am stuck, I can't quite get the correct working out, can anyone please help out, below is the calculations I attempted:

If dma/da = 0 and d^2ma/da^2<0 the ma, is a maximum for that value of a.

dma/da = -8sin(a)+6cos(a)

dma/da=0 Therefore: -8sin(a) + 6cos(a) = 0 Therefore: 8sin(a)=6cos(a)

This is what I was up to, got stuck here, not sure if what I done is correct, if it is, how do I proceed from here?

Thanks in advance
    ------------------------------------------------------

I have now calculated part (ii), I realised I have a problem in part (i), I need to find a to get the gradient ma, can anybody help me out with this?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 17, 2012 #2
    Re: Finding the gradient and maximum gradient at a point P for the surface z=2x^2+3y^

[itex]\int[/itex]

4. Jan 17, 2012 #3

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: Finding the gradient and maximum gradient at a point P for the surface z=2x^2+3y^

It is correct for the derivative at the given point along the direction defined by the angle α.

Isolate α: sin(α)/cos(α)=6/8 =tan(α)=0.75 α=?
    Getting α, substitute it back to mα.

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook