1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the height of a building that a projectile is thrown from using kinematics

1. Jun 15, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 0.21 kg rock is projected from the edge of
    the top of a building with an initial velocity of
    7.82 m/s at an angle 56 above the horizontal.
    Due to gravity, the rock strikes the ground at
    a horizontal distance of 10.5 m from the base
    of the building.

How tall is the building? Assume the
    ground is level and that the side of the build-
    ing is vertical. The acceleration of gravity is
    9.8 m/s2 .
    Answer in units of m.

2. Relevant equations

Kinematics equations. Pythagorean Theorem: A +B = C

3. The attempt at a solution

i tried to think about what I needed, and what equation would help me find it. In this case, the height h, I chose the following equation:

H = Vy - VoY / 2A from the initial kinematics equation of Vy = Voy + 2AH

From here, however, I am unsure how to determine Vy, which is the only variable I would need.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 15, 2011 #2
    Re: Finding the height of a building that a projectile is thrown from using kinematic

All those variables in the exponent section should have exponents of 2 themselves.

4. Jun 15, 2011 #3
    Re: Finding the height of a building that a projectile is thrown from using kinematic

Vy = [itex]vsin \Theta[/itex]

5. Jun 15, 2011 #4

Vim

You'll have to split your initial velocity into x and y components. (Use the Pythagorean theorum, your initial velocity will be the hypotenuse.)

Once you've established what the initial y-velocity is, use your kinematics equations to find the final y-velocity. ( vf = vi + a*t )

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook