• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Finding the height of a building that a projectile is thrown from using kinematics

• Thread starter garcia1
  • Start date
1. Homework Statement
A 0.21 kg rock is projected from the edge of
the top of a building with an initial velocity of
7.82 m/s at an angle 56 above the horizontal.
Due to gravity, the rock strikes the ground at
a horizontal distance of 10.5 m from the base
of the building.

How tall is the building? Assume the
ground is level and that the side of the build-
ing is vertical. The acceleration of gravity is
9.8 m/s2 .
Answer in units of m.

2. Homework Equations

Kinematics equations. Pythagorean Theorem: A +B = C

3. The Attempt at a Solution

i tried to think about what I needed, and what equation would help me find it. In this case, the height h, I chose the following equation:

H = Vy - VoY / 2A from the initial kinematics equation of Vy = Voy + 2AH

From here, however, I am unsure how to determine Vy, which is the only variable I would need.

Answers and Replies

Re: Finding the height of a building that a projectile is thrown from using kinematic

All those variables in the exponent section should have exponents of 2 themselves.

Re: Finding the height of a building that a projectile is thrown from using kinematic

Vy = [itex]vsin \Theta[/itex]

Vim

You'll have to split your initial velocity into x and y components. (Use the Pythagorean theorum, your initial velocity will be the hypotenuse.)

Once you've established what the initial y-velocity is, use your kinematics equations to find the final y-velocity. ( vf = vi + a*t )