Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Finding the Hopf Bifurcation

1. Nov 2, 2007 #1
    Hello all,
    i was given the following assignment: FitzHugh proposed the dynamical system

[tex] \dot{x}=-x(x-a)(x-1)-y+I [/tex]

[tex]\dot{y}=b(x-\gamma y)[/tex]

to model neurons. I is the input signal, x is the activity, y is the recovery and 0<a<1, [itex]\gamma[/itex]>0, b>0 are constants. Prove that there is a critical value [itex]I_0[/itex] for which there exists a Hopf bifurcation and discuss the stability of the periodic orbit.

I think one can find the bifurcation by using the Hopf Bifurcation Theorem (stated eg. at http://planetmath.org/encyclopedia/HopfBifurcationTheorem.html [Broken]). I find the Jacobian to be

[tex] J=\begin{pmatrix} -a&-1\\b&-b\gamma \end{pmatrix}[/tex]

but this matrix has eigenvalues independent of the parameter I. How can i investigate when the real part of the eigenvalues of J have a positive derivative (with respect to I) when they seem not to be a function of I?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Regards.

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2007 #2

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

You seem to be misunderstanding the problem. The problem is not to find the Hopf bifurcation point in terms of I but to determine the value of I such that there is a Hopf bifurcation.

4. Nov 2, 2007 #3
    Yes; But isent this exactly what the Hopf Theorem states? I mean, if you find that it is possible to have purely imaginary eigenvalues to J with a positive derivative of the real part at some point [itex]I_0[/itex], then this [itex]I_0[/itex] is a Hopf bifurcation point, and i have thus proven that such a point exists for the FitzHugh system.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook