1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the Hopf Bifurcation

1. Nov 2, 2007 #1
    Hello all,
    i was given the following assignment: FitzHugh proposed the dynamical system

[tex] \dot{x}=-x(x-a)(x-1)-y+I [/tex]

[tex]\dot{y}=b(x-\gamma y)[/tex]

to model neurons. I is the input signal, x is the activity, y is the recovery and 0<a<1, [itex]\gamma[/itex]>0, b>0 are constants. Prove that there is a critical value [itex]I_0[/itex] for which there exists a Hopf bifurcation and discuss the stability of the periodic orbit.

I think one can find the bifurcation by using the Hopf Bifurcation Theorem (stated eg. at http://planetmath.org/encyclopedia/HopfBifurcationTheorem.html). I find the Jacobian to be

[tex] J=\begin{pmatrix} -a&-1\\b&-b\gamma \end{pmatrix}[/tex]

but this matrix has eigenvalues independent of the parameter I. How can i investigate when the real part of the eigenvalues of J have a positive derivative (with respect to I) when they seem not to be a function of I?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You seem to be misunderstanding the problem. The problem is not to find the Hopf bifurcation point in terms of I but to determine the value of I such that there is a Hopf bifurcation.
  4. Nov 2, 2007 #3
    Yes; But isent this exactly what the Hopf Theorem states? I mean, if you find that it is possible to have purely imaginary eigenvalues to J with a positive derivative of the real part at some point [itex]I_0[/itex], then this [itex]I_0[/itex] is a Hopf bifurcation point, and i have thus proven that such a point exists for the FitzHugh system.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?