Finding the Hopf Bifurcation in the FitzHugh Model

• Thread starter standardflop
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bifurcation
In summary, the conversation discusses the FitzHugh model for neurons, which includes a dynamical system and constants such as I, x, y, a, \gamma, and b. The main goal is to prove the existence of a Hopf bifurcation and determine the critical value I_0 for this bifurcation. The use of the Hopf Bifurcation Theorem is suggested, but there is confusion about how to find the bifurcation point in terms of I. The conversation concludes by clarifying that the goal is to determine the value of I at which a Hopf bifurcation occurs.
standardflop
Hello all,
i was given the following assignment: FitzHugh proposed the dynamical system

[tex] \dot{x}=-x(x-a)(x-1)-y+I [/tex]

[tex]\dot{y}=b(x-\gamma y)[/tex]

to model neurons. I is the input signal, x is the activity, y is the recovery and 0<a<1, [itex]\gamma[/itex]>0, b>0 are constants. Prove that there is a critical value [itex]I_0[/itex] for which there exists a Hopf bifurcation and discuss the stability of the periodic orbit.

I think one can find the bifurcation by using the Hopf Bifurcation Theorem (stated eg. at http://planetmath.org/encyclopedia/HopfBifurcationTheorem.html ). I find the Jacobian to be

[tex] J=\begin{pmatrix} -a&-1\\b&-b\gamma \end{pmatrix}[/tex]

but this matrix has eigenvalues independent of the parameter I. How can i investigate when the real part of the eigenvalues of J have a positive derivative (with respect to I) when they seem not to be a function of I?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Regards.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You seem to be misunderstanding the problem. The problem is not to find the Hopf bifurcation point in terms of I but to determine the value of I such that there is a Hopf bifurcation.

HallsofIvy said:
You seem to be misunderstanding the problem. The problem is not to find the Hopf bifurcation point in terms of I but to determine the value of I such that there is a Hopf bifurcation.

Yes; But isent this exactly what the Hopf Theorem states? I mean, if you find that it is possible to have purely imaginary eigenvalues to J with a positive derivative of the real part at some point [itex]I_0[/itex], then this [itex]I_0[/itex] is a Hopf bifurcation point, and i have thus proven that such a point exists for the FitzHugh system.

1. What is a Hopf bifurcation?

A Hopf bifurcation is a type of bifurcation, or sudden change in the behavior of a system, that occurs when a parameter in the system crosses a critical value. It is characterized by the emergence of a stable limit cycle, or oscillatory behavior, from a stable equilibrium point.

2. How do you find the Hopf bifurcation in a system?

The Hopf bifurcation can be found by analyzing the eigenvalues of the Jacobian matrix at the equilibrium point. When the real part of a pair of complex eigenvalues crosses the imaginary axis, a Hopf bifurcation occurs.

3. What are the applications of finding the Hopf bifurcation?

Finding the Hopf bifurcation is important in understanding the behavior of nonlinear systems. It has applications in various fields such as biology, physics, and engineering, where oscillatory behavior is present.

4. What are the challenges in finding the Hopf bifurcation?

The main challenge in finding the Hopf bifurcation is accurately determining the critical value of the parameter at which the bifurcation occurs. This requires careful analysis and numerical methods to accurately compute the eigenvalues of the Jacobian matrix.

5. Can the Hopf bifurcation be controlled or manipulated?

Yes, the Hopf bifurcation can be controlled or manipulated by changing the system's parameters. This can be useful in stabilizing oscillatory behavior or inducing oscillations in systems that lack them.