1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the Induced Metric

1. May 31, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If ##A## is the subspace of ##l^\infty## consisting of all sequences of zeros and ones,
    what is the induced metric on ##A##?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    The metric imposed on ##l^\infty## is ##d(x,y) = \underset{i \in \mathbb{N}}{\sup} |x_i - y_i|##. I suspect that the induced (or, as a I call it, the reduced) metric is ##d(x,x) = 0## and ##d(x,y) = 1##. However, I am having difficulty showing this. Here is what I came up with:

Let ##I_{x,0} = \{i : x_i = 0\}## and ##I_{x,1} = \{i : x_i = 1\}##, and similarly define ##I_{y,0}## and ##I_{y,1}##. Hence, ##I_{x,1} \cap I_{y,1} \ne \emptyset## implies that there exists an ##i## such that ##x_i = 1## and ##y_ i = 1##; furthermore, ##x_i - y_i = 0##, which means ##\underset{i \in \mathbb{N}}{\sup} |x_i - y_i| = 0##...right?

This, however, does not appear to be a very elegant solution, as there will be many cases to deal with.

2. jcsd
  3. May 31, 2015 #2

pasmith

Homework Helper

If [itex]x_i[/itex] and [itex]y_i[/itex] take values in [itex]\{0,1\}[/itex] then the only possible values of [itex]|x_i - y_i|[/itex] are 0 if [itex]x_i = y_i [/itex] and 1 if [itex]x_i \neq y_i[/itex].

If [itex]x = y[/itex] then by definition [itex]x_i = y_i[/itex] for all [itex]i \in \mathbb{N}[/itex].
    If [itex]x \neq y[/itex] then by definition there exists an [itex]i \in \mathbb{N}[/itex] such that [itex]x_i \neq y_i[/itex].

4. Jun 3, 2015 #3

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

This metric has a special name that you might have seen. Do you know what it is?

5. Jun 3, 2015 #4
    Yes, I do indeed know: it is the discrete metric!

6. Jun 3, 2015 #5

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Exactly! Well done.

7. Jun 3, 2015 #6

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Some further information on why this problem is important: A metric space is separable if (by definition) it has a countable dense subset. Separability is an important condition in functional analysis and (among others) it ensures that a Hilbert space has a countable orthonormal basis. Now you can show that a discrete metric space is separable iff it is countable. So your ##A## is not separable. This implies immediately that ##\ell^\infty## is not separable since subspaces of separable spaces are separable (this is not that easy to show). ##\ell^\infty## is one of the most important spaces that is nonseparable. The other ##\ell^p## spaces are separable.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted