What is the Induced Metric on the Subspace of Zeros and Ones in ##l^\infty##?

In summary, the induced metric on the subspace A of l^∞, consisting of sequences of zeros and ones, is the discrete metric, which is defined as 0 if x_i = y_i for all i and 1 if x_i ≠ y_i for some i. This metric has implications in functional analysis, as a discrete metric space is separable if and only if it is countable, and A is not separable. This also implies that l^∞ is nonseparable, unlike the other l^p spaces.
Bashyboy

Homework Statement

If ##A## is the subspace of ##l^\infty## consisting of all sequences of zeros and ones,
what is the induced metric on ##A##?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The metric imposed on ##l^\infty## is ##d(x,y) = \underset{i \in \mathbb{N}}{\sup} |x_i - y_i|##. I suspect that the induced (or, as a I call it, the reduced) metric is ##d(x,x) = 0## and ##d(x,y) = 1##. However, I am having difficulty showing this. Here is what I came up with:

Let ##I_{x,0} = \{i : x_i = 0\}## and ##I_{x,1} = \{i : x_i = 1\}##, and similarly define ##I_{y,0}## and ##I_{y,1}##. Hence, ##I_{x,1} \cap I_{y,1} \ne \emptyset## implies that there exists an ##i## such that ##x_i = 1## and ##y_ i = 1##; furthermore, ##x_i - y_i = 0##, which means ##\underset{i \in \mathbb{N}}{\sup} |x_i - y_i| = 0##...right?

This, however, does not appear to be a very elegant solution, as there will be many cases to deal with.

Physics news on Phys.org
If [itex]x_i[/itex] and [itex]y_i[/itex] take values in [itex]\{0,1\}[/itex] then the only possible values of [itex]|x_i - y_i|[/itex] are 0 if [itex]x_i = y_i [/itex] and 1 if [itex]x_i \neq y_i[/itex].

If [itex]x = y[/itex] then by definition [itex]x_i = y_i[/itex] for all [itex]i \in \mathbb{N}[/itex].
If [itex]x \neq y[/itex] then by definition there exists an [itex]i \in \mathbb{N}[/itex] such that [itex]x_i \neq y_i[/itex].

Likes Bashyboy
This metric has a special name that you might have seen. Do you know what it is?

Yes, I do indeed know: it is the discrete metric!

Exactly! Well done.

Likes Bashyboy
Some further information on why this problem is important: A metric space is separable if (by definition) it has a countable dense subset. Separability is an important condition in functional analysis and (among others) it ensures that a Hilbert space has a countable orthonormal basis. Now you can show that a discrete metric space is separable iff it is countable. So your ##A## is not separable. This implies immediately that ##\ell^\infty## is not separable since subspaces of separable spaces are separable (this is not that easy to show). ##\ell^\infty## is one of the most important spaces that is nonseparable. The other ##\ell^p## spaces are separable.

1. What is the induced metric?

The induced metric is a mathematical concept used in differential geometry that defines a metric on a submanifold of a larger manifold. It is defined by pulling back the metric from the larger manifold onto the submanifold through a smooth embedding map.

2. How is the induced metric calculated?

The induced metric is calculated by taking the inner product of the tangent vectors of the submanifold with the metric tensor of the larger manifold. This is done using the pullback operation, which transforms the metric tensor from the larger manifold into a metric tensor on the submanifold.

3. What is the significance of the induced metric?

The induced metric allows us to study the geometry of a submanifold by using the geometry of the larger manifold. It also allows us to define notions such as length, angle, and curvature on the submanifold, which are important in various branches of mathematics and physics.

4. Can the induced metric be negative?

Yes, the induced metric can be negative. This can happen if the metric tensor of the larger manifold is negative and the embedding map has a negative determinant. However, in most cases, the induced metric is positive definite, which means it has only positive eigenvalues and can be used to define a valid distance measure on the submanifold.

5. How is the induced metric related to the Riemannian metric?

The Riemannian metric is a special case of the induced metric, where the larger manifold is a Riemannian manifold. The induced metric can also be defined on pseudo-Riemannian manifolds, which have a non-degenerate metric tensor with both positive and negative eigenvalues. In this case, the induced metric is a pseudo-Riemannian metric, and it is used to study the geometry of the submanifold in a similar way as the Riemannian metric.