Finding the Inductance of a coil

In summary, this student found that the inductance of the coil is 19 ohms when hooked up to a 12.0V battery and 24.0-V (rms) when hooked up to a 60.0-Hz generator.
discoverer02
I'm stumped by the following problem.

To determine the inductance of a coil used in a research project, a student first connects the coil to a 12.0V battery and measures a current of 0.630 A. The student the connects the coil to a 24.0-V(rms), 60.0-Hz generator and measures an rms current of 0.570 A. What is the inductance?

When the coil is hooked up to the battery R = V/I = 12V/0.63A = 19 ohms. I'm not seeing how this comes into play in finding the solution to the problem.

Z = impedance.
w = radial frequency
j = imaginary number
L = inductance
V = Voltage
I = Current

w = 2pi(60Hz) = 377 rad/sec

I(rms) = V(rms)/Z
Z = jwL

0.570A = 24.0V/[jL(377rad/sec)] this isn't right because it produce the right answer.

What am I missing? A nudge in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

The answer in the back of the book is 99.6 mH.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by discoverer02
I'm stumped by the following problem.

To determine the inductance of a coil used in a research project, a student first connects the coil to a 12.0V battery and measures a current of 0.630 A. The student the connects the coil to a 24.0-V(rms), 60.0-Hz generator and measures an rms current of 0.570 A. What is the inductance?

When the coil is hooked up to the battery R = V/I = 12V/0.63A = 19 ohms. I'm not seeing how this comes into play in finding the solution to the problem.

Z = impedance.
w = radial frequency
j = imaginary number
L = inductance
V = Voltage
I = Current

w = 2pi(60Hz) = 377 rad/sec

I(rms) = V(rms)/Z
Z = jwL

0.570A = 24.0V/[jL(377rad/sec)] this isn't right because it produce the right answer.

What am I missing? A nudge in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

The answer in the back of the book is 99.6 mH.

Thanks.

The nudge is that the resistance of the coil is important to the problem. Impedance (Z) is the result of both the inductive reactance and the resistance.

Z =jwL is only true for a circuit with zero resistance.

for a series circuit you would have

Z= R+jwL

And you can treat this coil as an inductance in series with a resistance.

Bingo!

I got it. Magnitude of Ztotal = 42.1 ohms
R = 19 ohms
w = 377 rad/sec

and (magnitude of Ztotal)^2 = R^2 + (jwL)^2

plug in the numbers, do the math and you get .0996 H.

Thank you very much for the help Janus.

1. What is the formula for calculating the inductance of a coil?

The formula for calculating the inductance of a coil is L = (μ0 * N^2 * A) / l, where L is the inductance in henries, μ0 is the permeability of free space, N is the number of turns in the coil, A is the cross-sectional area of the coil, and l is the length of the coil.

2. How do you measure the inductance of a coil?

The inductance of a coil can be measured using an inductance meter or by using a multimeter in conjunction with a known resistor and an AC power source. The inductance can also be calculated using the formula mentioned above.

3. What factors affect the inductance of a coil?

The inductance of a coil is affected by the number of turns, the cross-sectional area, and the length of the coil. It also depends on the material of the core, as well as the frequency and current passing through the coil.

4. Can the inductance of a coil be changed?

Yes, the inductance of a coil can be changed by altering the number of turns, the cross-sectional area, or the length of the coil. It can also be changed by using different materials for the core or by varying the frequency and current passing through the coil.

5. What are some real-world applications of finding the inductance of a coil?

The inductance of a coil is important in many electronic devices, such as transformers, motors, and generators. It is also used in wireless charging systems, magnetic sensors, and communication systems. Understanding the inductance of a coil is crucial for designing and optimizing these devices for efficient operation.