1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the Inflection points of x^2-4√x

1. Apr 8, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    find the inflection points of x^2-4√x

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Okay, I started with finding the derivatives;
    f'(x)=2x-2/√x
    f''(x)=2+1/√x^3
    and made the second derivative =0
    (2+1/√x^3=0)(√x^3)
    2√x^3+1=0
    (√x^3=-1/2)^2
    x^3=1/4
    x=cube root(1/4)
    x=0.63
    But when I enter '0.63' into the second derivative i get '4' (2+1/(√0.63^3)=4) Should i not get 0? Does this mean there are no inflection points?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2016 #2

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It's unclear what you are doing here:
    Note that for the given expression x^2-4√x to be a function, we need to choose a branch of the square root. The convention is to choose the positive branch unless explicitly stated otherwise. Then when we get to (√x)^3=-1/2 we see that there is no solution, because in the positive branch (√x)^3>0. So there are no inflection points.

The solution you found is for the negative branch of the square root, which does have an inflection point.

4. Apr 9, 2016 #3

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It was a real function, the domain is x>0. That means, the second derivative can not be zero. When you take the square of the equation, you introduce false root.

5. Apr 9, 2016 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You have ##f(x) = f_1(x) + f_2(x)##, where ##f_1(x) = x^2## and ##f_2(x) = -2 \sqrt{x}##. We have ##f_1''(x)>0## and ##f_2''(x)>0## on ##\mathbb{R}_+ = \{ x > 0 \}##, so there are no inflection points. Basically, ##f## is the sum of two strictly convex functions on ##\mathbb{R}_+##, so is itself strictly convex on that set.

6. Apr 10, 2016 #5
    great, thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted