1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the initial speed

1. Oct 4, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A baseball player throws a ball a distance of 250 ft. If the ball is released at an angle of 45°with the horizontal, find its initial speed.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't know where to begin. All i know is that speed is the norm of velocity. Help?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2011 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Suppose the initial speed is v0. What are the vertical & horizontal components of the velocity.

4. Oct 4, 2011 #3
    x=(v0cos 45°)t
    y=(v0sin 45°)t

5. Oct 4, 2011 #4
    close. You forgot that the y equation has acceleration due to gravity, so that's [itex]\frac{-9.8}{2}[/itex][itex]t^{2}[/itex].

And is that how I'm supposed to do math equations here? Cuz im relatively new (I signed up earlier, I just never used it till now).

6. Oct 4, 2011 #5
    Yeah, that's how you do it. :smile: And thank you. I should use (32/2)t2 since the unit is feet. Correct?

7. Oct 4, 2011 #6
    oh yeah, sorry but that, but glad I could help. :smile:

8. Oct 4, 2011 #7
    So what do i do next? Differentiate?

9. Oct 4, 2011 #8
    oh i thought you got it. Sorry. You know that x displacement is 250 ft, and y displacement is 0. If you plug that in, you'll find you have a system of two equations with two variables--initial velocity and time. I'm sure you can solve from there. :wink:

10. Oct 4, 2011 #9
    Thank you so much! :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook