Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Finding the initial speed

1. Oct 4, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A baseball player throws a ball a distance of 250 ft. If the ball is released at an angle of 45°with the horizontal, find its initial speed.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't know where to begin. All i know is that speed is the norm of velocity. Help?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2011 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Suppose the initial speed is v0. What are the vertical & horizontal components of the velocity.

4. Oct 4, 2011 #3
    x=(v0cos 45°)t
    y=(v0sin 45°)t

5. Oct 4, 2011 #4
    close. You forgot that the y equation has acceleration due to gravity, so that's [itex]\frac{-9.8}{2}[/itex][itex]t^{2}[/itex].

And is that how I'm supposed to do math equations here? Cuz im relatively new (I signed up earlier, I just never used it till now).

6. Oct 4, 2011 #5
    Yeah, that's how you do it. :smile: And thank you. I should use (32/2)t2 since the unit is feet. Correct?

7. Oct 4, 2011 #6
    oh yeah, sorry but that, but glad I could help. :smile:

8. Oct 4, 2011 #7
    So what do i do next? Differentiate?

9. Oct 4, 2011 #8
    oh i thought you got it. Sorry. You know that x displacement is 250 ft, and y displacement is 0. If you plug that in, you'll find you have a system of two equations with two variables--initial velocity and time. I'm sure you can solve from there. :wink:

10. Oct 4, 2011 #9
    Thank you so much! :smile:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook