1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the inradius

1. Nov 19, 2013 #1

utkarshakash

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In ΔABC the cooridnates of the vertex A are(4,-1) and the lines x-y-1=0 and 2x-y=3 are internal bisectors of angles B and C then radius of incircle of ΔABC is

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I can solve the given two eqns to get intersection point which is (2,3). Finding the inradius requires me to calculate the distance from (2,3) to any side. For this I will need eqn of any one side. Now I can also find the 3rd bisector.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2013 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

There's probably a better way, but if the radius is r then you can write down the equation for a tangent from A to the circle. This will intercept the given lines at B and C.

4. Nov 20, 2013 #3

utkarshakash

Gold Member

Let us assume that the point of contact of tangent from A is (h,k). Equation of incircle:

[itex](x-2)^2+(y-3)^2 = r^2 [/itex]

Equation of tangent from A is [itex] y-k = \dfrac{2-h}{k-3} (x-h) [/itex]

Since it passes through A, I get the following condition

[itex]h^2+k^2-2k-6h+5=0[/itex]

5. Nov 24, 2013 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Posting in the right thread this time:
    Try this:
    Drop a perpendicular from the incentre O to each of the three sides, meeting AB at C', BC at A' and CA at B'. ∠AOB' = ∠AOC' = α, say; ∠BOA' = ∠BOC' = β, etc. So what does α+β+γ equal? What is ∠BOC in terms of these? You can determine the value of ∠BOC. What does that give for the value of α? Can you use AO and α to find r?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted