Finding Integers Divisible by 2, 3 or 5 - Solve Here!

• Thread starter Physics is Phun
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integers
In summary, the sum rule does not work to find the number of integers between 1 and 100 that are divisible by 2, 3, or 5. However, the number is 10.
Physics is Phun
We have a question that asks to find the number of integers between 1 and 100 that are divisible by 2,3 or 5.
So i use the sum rule

let E,F and G be the the integers. so,
n(EUFUG) = n(E) + n(F) + n(G) - n(EnF) - n(EnG) - n(FnG)
but this doesn't work. it gives me the answer of 70 but the actual answer is 74. Since I know the answer is 74 this one doesn't matter but the next question asks to find the number of integers between 1 and 100000. So it's obvious that I can't count them.
just to make sure I did the above part right
n(EUFUG) would be 100/2 + 100/3 + 100/5 - 100/6 - 100/10 - 100/15 correct?
I hope somone can figure out where I've gone wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
you forget to add the number divisible by both 2,3,5, in your notation, it is n(EnFnG)
2*3*5=30, so, you got to add 3 in your final answer, one more thing,n(E) + n(F) + n(G) - n(EnF) - n(EnG) - n(FnG)=71 instead of 70, you made a arithmatic mistake, also

Physics is Phun said:
just to make sure I did the above part right
n(EUFUG) would be 100/2 + 100/3 + 100/5 - 100/6 - 100/10 - 100/15
I'm not familiar with what you are doing, but wouldn't you also need to subtract 100/30? 100/6 would be the ones common between 2 and 3, 100/10 would be the ones common between 2 and 5, 100/15 would be the ones common between 3 and 5, and 100/30 would be the ones common between 2, 3, and 5.
Of course it would make you even farther from the "correct" answer, but I'm just saying.

the ones that are common to 2, 3, and 5 were taken care of when you took account for the other combinations. Not only that, but it was subtracted twice. Thats why you have to add it again.

I still don't get it. when using the sum rule, you add the parts together, the subract the overlaping sections. I don't see why n(EnFnG) needs to be added. and thanks for the arithemtic point out. I was adding the exact values and not rounding each section which actually makes the answer more wrong (unlike most math problems)

Parth Dave said:
the ones that are common to 2, 3, and 5 were taken care of when you took account for the other combinations. Not only that, but it was subtracted twice. Thats why you have to add it again.
I was going to challenge you on that, but I guess you're right. Try it with 1, 2, and 3 between 1 and 10. The real answer is obviously 10, so it's easy to check the method.
Here are each of em:
10/1 = 10, 10/2 = 5, 10/3 = 3. Sum: 18
The common between 2:
10/2 = 5, 10/3 = 3, 10/6 = 1. Sum: 9
The common between 3:
10 / 6 = 1
Subtract the ones common between 2 from from the single ones:
18 - 9 = 9. We're trying to get to 10, so add the one common between all 3 to get 10 :biggrin:

ok I get it now. I just had to reread ur post parth dave.
thanks
:)

1. What is the purpose of finding integers divisible by 2, 3 or 5?

The purpose of finding integers divisible by 2, 3 or 5 is to identify numbers that can be evenly divided by these numbers without leaving a remainder. This can be useful in various mathematical and scientific applications, such as determining factors of a number or solving equations.

2. How do you determine if a number is divisible by 2, 3 or 5?

To determine if a number is divisible by 2, 3 or 5, you can use the following rules:

• If the last digit of the number is even (0, 2, 4, 6, or 8), then it is divisible by 2.
  • If the sum of the digits of the number is divisible by 3, then it is divisible by 3.
  • If the last digit of the number is 0 or 5, then it is divisible by 5.

3. Can a number be divisible by all three numbers (2, 3, and 5) at the same time?

Yes, a number can be divisible by all three numbers (2, 3, and 5) at the same time. For example, the number 30 is divisible by 2, 3, and 5.

4. What is the smallest positive integer divisible by 2, 3, and 5?

The smallest positive integer divisible by 2, 3, and 5 is 30. This is because it is the smallest number that is divisible by all three numbers without leaving a remainder.

5. How can finding integers divisible by 2, 3 or 5 help in real-life situations?

Finding integers divisible by 2, 3 or 5 can be useful in various real-life situations, such as calculating discounts or dividing items equally among a group of people. It can also be used in computer programming to optimize algorithms and improve efficiency.