1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the Intermediate Value

1. Jan 26, 2005 #1
    Let's say you want to find the intermediate value [tex] \xi [/tex] of the mean value theorem of the integral calculus for:

(a)[tex] \int^b_a 1 \ dx [/tex]
    (b)[tex] \int^b_a x \ dx [/tex]
    (c)[tex] \int^b_a x^n \ dx [/tex]
    (d)[tex] \int^b_a \frac{dx}{x^2} [/tex]

Using the Mean Value Theorem we know that [tex] a \leq \xi \leq b [/tex] and [tex] \mu = f(\xi) [/tex] following from:

[tex] \int^b_a f(x) \ dx = \mu(b-a) [/tex] where [tex] m \leq \mu \leq M [/tex] and [tex] m, M [/tex] are the least and greatest values of [tex] f(x) [/tex].

Hence [tex] \int^b_a x \ dx = (b-a) f(\xi) [/tex] because [tex] dx = b-a [/tex]. So [tex] f{(\xi) = \frac{(b-a)(b+a)}{2} \times \frac{1}{b-a} = \frac{a+b}{2} [/tex] Is this right? I am not sure because I think this is for [tex] f(\xi) [/tex] but I want [tex] \xi [/tex]. Or are they the same thing?

Thanks for any help

:smile:

Last edited: Jan 26, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2005 #2
    i think its right

4. Jan 26, 2005 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

In the case that f(x)= x they're the same!
    You want to find ξ such that [itex]\int_a^b 1 dx= f(\xi)(b-a)[/itex].

Okay, go ahead and do the integral [itex]\int_a^b 1 dx= b- a[/itex] so f(ξ)= 1. Of course, that's true for any ξ.

You want to find ξ such that [itex]\int_a^b x dx= \frac{1}{2}(b^2- a^2)= \frac{b^2- a^2}{2}= \frac{b+a}{2}(b-a)[/itex]. Okay, you want [itex]f(\xi)= \frac{b+a}{2}[/itex] and since f(x)= x, you want [itex]\xi= \frac{b+a}{2}[/itex], the midpoint of the interval (arithmetic mean of a and b).

You want to find ξ such that [itex]\int_a^b x^n dx= f(\xi)(b-a)[/itex].
    [itex]\int_a^b x^n dx= \frac{1}{n+1}(b^{n+1}- a{n+1})= \frac{1}{n+1}(b-a)(b^{n}+ ab^{n-1}+ ... + a^{n-1}b+ a^n)[/itex] so you want [itex]f(\xi)= \xi^n= \frac{1}{n+1}(b^n+ ab^{n-1}+ ...+ a^{n-1}b+ a^n)[/itex]. Since that lies between
    bn and an, such a ξ exists.

You want to find ξ such that [itex]\int_a^b \frac{1}{x^2} dx= f(\xi)(b-a)[/itex]. [itex]\int_a^b x^{-2}dx= \frac{1}{a}- \frac{1}{b}[/itex].

You want [itex]\frac{1}{a}- \frac{1}{b}= \frac{b-a}{ab}= \frac{1}{ab}(b-a)[/itex]. You want [itex]f(\xi)=\frac{1}{x^2}= \frac{1}{ab}[/itex]. That is, you want [itex]\xi^2= ab [/itex] or [itex]\xi= \sqrt{ab}[/itex], the "geometric mean" of a and b.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?