Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Finding the Intermediate Value

1. Jan 26, 2005 #1
    Let's say you want to find the intermediate value [tex] \xi [/tex] of the mean value theorem of the integral calculus for:

(a)[tex] \int^b_a 1 \ dx [/tex]
    (b)[tex] \int^b_a x \ dx [/tex]
    (c)[tex] \int^b_a x^n \ dx [/tex]
    (d)[tex] \int^b_a \frac{dx}{x^2} [/tex]

Using the Mean Value Theorem we know that [tex] a \leq \xi \leq b [/tex] and [tex] \mu = f(\xi) [/tex] following from:

[tex] \int^b_a f(x) \ dx = \mu(b-a) [/tex] where [tex] m \leq \mu \leq M [/tex] and [tex] m, M [/tex] are the least and greatest values of [tex] f(x) [/tex].

Hence [tex] \int^b_a x \ dx = (b-a) f(\xi) [/tex] because [tex] dx = b-a [/tex]. So [tex] f{(\xi) = \frac{(b-a)(b+a)}{2} \times \frac{1}{b-a} = \frac{a+b}{2} [/tex] Is this right? I am not sure because I think this is for [tex] f(\xi) [/tex] but I want [tex] \xi [/tex]. Or are they the same thing?

Thanks for any help

:smile:

Last edited: Jan 26, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2005 #2
    i think its right

4. Jan 26, 2005 #3

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

In the case that f(x)= x they're the same!
    You want to find ξ such that [itex]\int_a^b 1 dx= f(\xi)(b-a)[/itex].

Okay, go ahead and do the integral [itex]\int_a^b 1 dx= b- a[/itex] so f(ξ)= 1. Of course, that's true for any ξ.

You want to find ξ such that [itex]\int_a^b x dx= \frac{1}{2}(b^2- a^2)= \frac{b^2- a^2}{2}= \frac{b+a}{2}(b-a)[/itex]. Okay, you want [itex]f(\xi)= \frac{b+a}{2}[/itex] and since f(x)= x, you want [itex]\xi= \frac{b+a}{2}[/itex], the midpoint of the interval (arithmetic mean of a and b).

You want to find ξ such that [itex]\int_a^b x^n dx= f(\xi)(b-a)[/itex].
    [itex]\int_a^b x^n dx= \frac{1}{n+1}(b^{n+1}- a{n+1})= \frac{1}{n+1}(b-a)(b^{n}+ ab^{n-1}+ ... + a^{n-1}b+ a^n)[/itex] so you want [itex]f(\xi)= \xi^n= \frac{1}{n+1}(b^n+ ab^{n-1}+ ...+ a^{n-1}b+ a^n)[/itex]. Since that lies between
    bn and an, such a ξ exists.

You want to find ξ such that [itex]\int_a^b \frac{1}{x^2} dx= f(\xi)(b-a)[/itex]. [itex]\int_a^b x^{-2}dx= \frac{1}{a}- \frac{1}{b}[/itex].

You want [itex]\frac{1}{a}- \frac{1}{b}= \frac{b-a}{ab}= \frac{1}{ab}(b-a)[/itex]. You want [itex]f(\xi)=\frac{1}{x^2}= \frac{1}{ab}[/itex]. That is, you want [itex]\xi^2= ab [/itex] or [itex]\xi= \sqrt{ab}[/itex], the "geometric mean" of a and b.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2005
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook