1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the inverse

1. Aug 17, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I need to pass a test to get into college calculus, but there's a few things I've forgotten since may, one of them being how to find the inverse of a function with x in the denominator. I think I remember it being something really simple that I'm overlooking, but here it goes:

2. Relevant equations
    f(x) = (x + 2)/(3x + 5)

1) y = (x + 2)/(3x + 5)
    2) x = (y + 2)/(3y + 5)
    3) this is where it starts to go crazy.

3. The attempt at a solution
    My attempts were kind of convulsive, but I hope it'll suffice to say that I know to switch y with x, then solve the problem for y, which will be the inverse. I just don't know how to get y out of the denominator without getting a really complicated answer. (edit: I put what I was saying into math form above)

Thanks, if anyone knows this. I've done some re-learning in the past week or so; there are just a few things left that are too specific to find online.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2009 #2

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Your goal is to use properties of equality of real numbers to find a formula for y. Either you can find a result or you cannot. Can you obtain an inverse in that general manner?
    In fact, a result is possible; whether the result is a function, I leave for you to decide.

4. Aug 17, 2009 #3
    If the [tex]y=\frac{x + 2}{3x + 5}[/tex] then x+2=y(3x+5). Your goal is to present x in terms of y. Now can you proceed?

5. Aug 17, 2009 #4
    That's where I get, but I can't go further without jumbling the whole thing up.

6. Aug 17, 2009 #5
    Distribute the y on the right hand side, separate y and non-y terms to opposite sides, factor out y and divide.

--Elucidus

7. Aug 17, 2009 #6
    *facepalm*

I can't believe I forgot simple algebra. Thanks.

8. Aug 19, 2009 #7
    What I did was, multiply the numerator and then expand everything. Bring all the x-terms and the xy-terms to one side, and the y-terms and constants to the other. Then I factored out x, and divided by the other stuff!
    Good luck =)

Last edited: Aug 19, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook