Finding the inverse

• Thread starter GHealy
  • Start date

Homework Statement

I need to pass a test to get into college calculus, but there's a few things I've forgotten since may, one of them being how to find the inverse of a function with x in the denominator. I think I remember it being something really simple that I'm overlooking, but here it goes:

Homework Equations

f(x) = (x + 2)/(3x + 5)

1) y = (x + 2)/(3x + 5)
2) x = (y + 2)/(3y + 5)
3) this is where it starts to go crazy.

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempts were kind of convulsive, but I hope it'll suffice to say that I know to switch y with x, then solve the problem for y, which will be the inverse. I just don't know how to get y out of the denominator without getting a really complicated answer. (edit: I put what I was saying into math form above)

Thanks, if anyone knows this. I've done some re-learning in the past week or so; there are just a few things left that are too specific to find online.

Answers and Replies

symbolipoint
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
Your goal is to use properties of equality of real numbers to find a formula for y. Either you can find a result or you cannot. Can you obtain an inverse in that general manner?
In fact, a result is possible; whether the result is a function, I leave for you to decide.

If the [tex]y=\frac{x + 2}{3x + 5}[/tex] then x+2=y(3x+5). Your goal is to present x in terms of y. Now can you proceed?

If the [tex]y=\frac{x + 2}{3x + 5}[/tex] then x+2=y(3x+5). Your goal is to present x in terms of y. Now can you proceed?

That's where I get, but I can't go further without jumbling the whole thing up.

That's where I get, but I can't go further without jumbling the whole thing up.

Distribute the y on the right hand side, separate y and non-y terms to opposite sides, factor out y and divide.

--Elucidus

Distribute the y on the right hand side, separate y and non-y terms to opposite sides, factor out y and divide.

--Elucidus

*facepalm*

I can't believe I forgot simple algebra. Thanks.

What I did was, multiply the numerator and then expand everything. Bring all the x-terms and the xy-terms to one side, and the y-terms and constants to the other. Then I factored out x, and divided by the other stuff!
Good luck =)

Last edited: