Finding the length of a vector given the magnitudes

In summary, the norm of the vector m + 2n can be found using the law of cosines by taking the square root of the dot product of (m + 2n) with itself.
s.perkins

Homework Statement

The question is as follows: if |m| = 4, |n| = 3, and the angle θ between m and n is 5pi/6, find the norm of the vector m + 2n.

Homework Equations

Im attempting to use the equation :
cosθ = (m * n)/(|m||n|)

The Attempt at a Solution

I determined using the above formula that the value of m * n is 6√(3), and is either negative using the given 5pi/6 or positive if you use the reference angle of pi/6. I am not entirely sure how to relate that value to the length of m +2n. Would you just multiple |n| by 2 in that formula? which would yield 12√3. Again not sure if I can relate these 2 things, thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
s.perkins said:

Homework Statement

The question is as follows: if |m| = 4, |n| = 3, and the angle θ between m and n is 5pi/6, find the norm of the vector m + 2n.

Homework Equations

Im attempting to use the equation :
cosθ = (m * n)/(|m||n|)

The Attempt at a Solution

I determined using the above formula that the value of m * n is 6√(3), and is either negative using the given 5pi/6 or positive if you use the reference angle of pi/6. I am not entirely sure how to relate that value to the length of m +2n. Would you just multiple |n| by 2 in that formula? which would yield 12√3. Again not sure if I can relate these 2 things, thanks
The norm of vector, v is is given by: |v| = √(vv).

So, look at (m + 2n)∙(m + 2n)

1. How do I find the length of a vector given the magnitudes?

The length of a vector can be found using the Pythagorean theorem, where the length is the square root of the sum of the squares of the magnitudes in each dimension.

2. What if the vector is in three dimensions?

The same principle applies for finding the length of a vector in three dimensions. The length is the square root of the sum of the squares of the magnitudes in each dimension (x, y, and z).

3. Can I use this method for vectors in any dimension?

Yes, this method can be used for vectors in any dimension. The length is always calculated by taking the square root of the sum of the squares of the magnitudes in each dimension.

4. How do I find the magnitudes of a vector?

The magnitudes of a vector can be found by breaking down the vector into its individual components in each dimension. Then, the magnitude in each dimension can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem (a^2 + b^2 = c^2).

5. Can I find the length of a vector if the magnitudes are negative?

Yes, the length of a vector can still be found if the magnitudes are negative. However, when calculating the length using the Pythagorean theorem, be sure to square the magnitudes to make them positive before adding them together.