Finding Limit: Homework Statement & Solution

In summary, this student found a limit for a sequence by applying the Stolz theorem and then simplifying the equation. They then found the limit for the numerator and denominator using the division law.
diredragon

Homework Statement

Find the limit of the following sequence:
##L_2 = \lim_{n \rightarrow +\infty} \frac {\sum_{k=0}^n (2k - 1)^p}{n^{p+1}}##

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]
Seeing that ##\lim_{n \rightarrow +\infty} n^{p+1} = + \infty ## i can apply the Stolz theorem. (Is something more necessary alongside it being divergent?).
The upper sum when used in Stolz theorem yields just ##(2n+1)^{p}## because the rest of the sum is subtracted in form ##(n+1) - (n)##. I get

##\lim_{n \rightarrow +\infty} \frac{(2n+1)^p}{(n+1)^{p+1} - n^{p+1}}##
##\lim_{n \rightarrow +\infty} \frac{(2n+1)^p}{(n+1)^p + (n+1)^{p-1}n + (n+1)^{p-2}n^2 + ... + n^p}##
And I am stuck on how to further simplify this. Could get a hint from someone that knows?

Physics news on Phys.org
i suggest as a next step dividing the numerator and denominator by ##n^p##.
You should then be able to calculate separate limits for the numerator and denominator, which are neither infinity nor zero. Hence you can use the division law to calculate the limit of the ratio.

Likes diredragon
andrewkirk said:
i suggest as a next step dividing the numerator and denominator by ##n^p##.
You should then be able to calculate separate limits for the numerator and denominator, which are neither infinity nor zero. Hence you can use the division law to calculate the limit of the ratio.
I get ##\frac{2^p}{p+1}##

Check your last step, e.g. with a simple example like p = 2. I am missing the binomial coefficients and the powers of n should be descending, not remain equal !

diredragon said:
I get ##\frac{2^p}{p+1}##
Me too. (from your one-but-last step :smile: )

BvU said:
Check your last step, e.g. with a simple example like p = 2. I am missing the binomial coefficients and the powers of n should be descending, not remain equal !
You are right. I did mess something up. Weird that i got the right result when i divided by ##n^{p}##. So:
##(n+1)^{p+1} - n^{p+1} = n^{p+1} + {{p+1}\choose{1}}n^p + {{p+1}\choose{2}}n^{p-1} + ... + {{p+1}\choose{k}}n^{p-k} + ... +1 - n^{p+1}##
##(n+1)^{p+1} - n^{p+1} ={{p+1}\choose{1}}n^p + {{p+1}\choose{2}}n^{p-1} + ... + {{p+1}\choose{k}}n^{p-k} + ... + 1##
If i know divide with ##n^p## i will obtain the correct result. Is this correct?

It is. Well done !

Likes diredragon
andrewkirk said:
@diredragon You're welcome.
Yeah thanks, you provided a key hint :)

diredragon said:
You are right. I did mess something up. Weird that i got the right result when i divided by ##n^{p}##. So:
##(n+1)^{p+1} - n^{p+1} = n^{p+1} + {{p+1}\choose{1}}n^p + {{p+1}\choose{2}}n^{p-1} + ... + {{p+1}\choose{k}}n^{p-k} + ... +1 - n^{p+1}##
##(n+1)^{p+1} - n^{p+1} ={{p+1}\choose{1}}n^p + {{p+1}\choose{2}}n^{p-1} + ... + {{p+1}\choose{k}}n^{p-k} + ... + 1##
If i know divide with ##n^p## i will obtain the correct result. Is this correct?

Better:
$$(n+1)^{p+1}-n^{p+1} = n^{p+1}\left [ \left(1 +\frac{1}{n} \right)^{p+1} - 1 \right],$$
and use ##(1+x)^{p+1} = 1 + px +O(x^2)## for small ##x = 1/n##. Thus
$$(n+1)^{p+1}-n^{p+1} \sim (p+1)n^p$$
for large ##n##. Here, ##\sim## denotes "asymptotic equality": ##a(n) \sim b(n)## for large ##n## if
$$\lim_{n \to \infty} \frac{a(n)}{b(n)} = 1.$$

Likes diredragon
Ray Vickson said:
Better:
$$(n+1)^{p+1}-n^{p+1} = n^{p+1}\left [ \left(1 +\frac{1}{n} \right)^{p+1} - 1 \right],$$
and use ##(1+x)^{p+1} = 1 + px +O(x^2)## for small ##x = 1/n##. Thus
$$(n+1)^{p+1}-n^{p+1} \sim (p+1)n^p$$
for large ##n##. Here, ##\sim## denotes "asymptotic equality": ##a(n) \sim b(n)## for large ##n## if
$$\lim_{n \to \infty} \frac{a(n)}{b(n)} = 1.$$
That is a really interesting approach too. I think i like it the most :D

1. What is a limit in calculus?

A limit in calculus refers to the value that a function approaches as the input approaches a specific value. It is a fundamental concept in calculus and is used to analyze the behavior of functions at certain points.

2. Why do we need to find limits?

Finding limits is important because it helps us understand the behavior of functions at specific points. It allows us to approximate values, determine continuity, and calculate derivatives, among other things. It is also an essential step in solving many calculus problems.

3. How do we find limits?

To find a limit, we can use various techniques such as substitution, factoring, and rationalization. We can also use the definition of a limit or use limit laws and properties to simplify the expression. The method used depends on the type of function and the limit being evaluated.

4. What are some common misconceptions about finding limits?

Some common misconceptions about finding limits include thinking that the limit is the value of the function at the given point, assuming that the limit must exist for a function to be continuous, and confusing one-sided and two-sided limits. It is important to understand the concepts and definitions accurately to avoid these misconceptions.

5. How can I improve my skills in finding limits?

To improve your skills in finding limits, it is essential to practice regularly and understand the concepts and definitions thoroughly. You can also seek help from a tutor or use online resources and practice problems to enhance your understanding. It is also helpful to review the limit laws and properties and understand when to apply them.