1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the magnetic field

1. Mar 28, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Say we have a very long conductor shaped like half circular cylinder . With radius a and negligible thickness with constant current through it . At the axis of the cylinder, there is linear conductor with constant current through it . If these conductors are placed in vacuum, determine the force action on the linear conductor.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Since i have to know magnetic field vector (B) so i could find force, i first calculated it, doing it this way, i considered that half cylinder consists of huge number of linear conductors, and i got this for the one linear conductor: B=(μ0*I)/2πa , since this is just a piece of magnetic field i labeled it dB, and the current dI,
    considering dI/dl=I/aπ (it's dI over dL) i got dI=(IdL)/aπ. Now, after i considered x and y components of the vector and calculated it's values i got Bx=-(μ0I)/aπ2 and the By was zero. Now, what confuses me is while calculating the value of the one linear conductor i'm not sure if i did it correct, i mean it's basically calculating the magnetic field of one very long linear conductor to another very long linear conductor, i'm not sure can i do it this way

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2015 #2

Hesch

Gold Member

It seems that you are using Ampere's law. But since the shape of the conductor is not symmetrical (half a cylinder), you must use the Biot-Savart law (google).

Find the B-field by (numerical) integration over the half cylinder.

4. Mar 28, 2015 #3
    I actually used Biot-Savart law, i just cant write whole derivation, but that's not the problem, i don't understand what would be the difference if i had just a single point instead of whole linear conductor. Because, the way i did this is the same way i would do it if i had just single point

5. Mar 28, 2015 #4

Hesch

Gold Member

Using Biot-Savart you must integrate over the volume of the conductor: Say you place the conductor in at system of co-ordinates with the center of the cylinder along the x-axis. You will find the B-field at (x,y,z) = (0,0,0). Of cause at tiny element of conductor at (x,y,z) = (0,1,1) will influence the B-field at (0,0,0), but so will a tiny element at (1,1,1). ( A tiny element at (1,0,0) will not ).

That's what Biot-Savart states: You must integrate over all tiny elements.

Therfore you will also have to integrate along the conductor (x-direction).

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  6. Mar 29, 2015 #5

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Consider a differentially thin strip of length L along the half-cylinder. You learned the formula for force between two current-carrying wires. Compute the differential force on the inner wire due to this thin strip. Take advantage of any symmetry between one-half of the cylinder and the other half; you might be able to work in one coordinate only. Then integrate over the total half-cylindrical surface. This is not a volume integral problem. The answer is a very simple term in current i (and 2 constants).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted