Finding the mass of a block on an inclined plane

• Thread starter hansel13
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Block Mass
In summary: Thanks for the help! Lots of times I get lost and forget what I'm actually looking for, when you mentioned that I needed to find Tension I just drew it up and figured it out.Hopefully it is haha..If someone could let me know if this is right or not, I'd really appreciate it. I'm not too confident in my physics skills yet and this is an extra 5 points to my exam correct, so yeah...T = Fk-mg*sin30 = 32.1N -10kg * 9.8m/s2*sin35 = 24.1And we know that T = B*gSo B = T/g 24.1/9.8 =
hansel13

Homework Statement

Block A with a mass of 10 kg rests on a 35degree incline. The coefficient of static friction is 0.40. An attached string is parallel to the incline and passes over a massless, frictionless pulley at the top. The largest mass mb, attached to the dangling end, for which A remains at rest is...?

Homework Equations

F = ma
Fs = us*Fn

The Attempt at a Solution

Fs = .4*10*9.8*cos35 = 32.1N

That's all I've got so far. :rofl:

Not sure why I'm struggling so hard on this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
hansel13 said:
Block A with a mass of 10 kg rests on a 35degree incline. The coefficient of static friction is 0.40. An attached string is parallel to the incline and passes over a massless, frictionless pulley at the top. The largest mass mb, attached to the dangling end, for which A remains at rest is...?

Fs = .4*10*9.8*cos35 = 32.1N

Hi hansel13! :smile:

Have you drawn an fbd for the block?

There's the friction (which you've caclulated), the tension, the normal force, and the weight.

So what is the tension? :smile:

lets calls the mass of block B, B for now.

I think I figured it out, so:
T = Fk-mg*sin30
= 32.1N -10kg * 9.8m/s2*sin30 = 24.1And we know that T = B*g

So B = T/g 24.1/9.8 = 2.46 kg

I'm pretty sure that's right, is it?

Thanks for the help! Lots of times I get lost and forget what I'm actually looking for, when you mentioned that I needed to find Tension I just drew it up and figured it out.

Hopefully it is haha..

If someone could let me know if this is right or not, I'd really appreciate it. I'm not too confident in my physics skills yet and this is an extra 5 points to my exam correct, so yeah...

hansel13 said:
T = Fk-mg*sin30
= 32.1N -10kg * 9.8m/s2*sin30 = 24.1

And we know that T = B*g

So B = T/g 24.1/9.8 = 2.46 kg

Yes, that's more-or-less right, except …

i] isn't it 35º? :rolleyes:

ii] shouldn't you add the weight force to the friction force?

tiny-tim said:

Yes, that's more-or-less right, except …

i] isn't it 35º? :rolleyes:

ii] shouldn't you add the weight force to the friction force?

ah, Right!

T = Fk-mg*sin30
= 32.1N + 10kg * 9.8m/s2*sin35 = 88.2

And we know that T = B*g

So B = T/g 88.2/9.8 = 9kg

Thanks! Dumb mistakes on my part..

1. How do I find the mass of a block?

To find the mass of a block, you will need a balance scale that measures in grams or kilograms. Place the block on one side of the scale and add weights to the other side until the scale is balanced. The total weight on the scale is the mass of the block.

2. What is the unit of measurement for mass?

The unit of measurement for mass is grams (g) or kilograms (kg). Grams are typically used for smaller objects, while kilograms are used for larger objects. It is important to use the correct unit of measurement when finding the mass of a block.

3. How do I know if my measurement is accurate?

To ensure an accurate measurement, it is important to use a high-quality balance scale and make sure it is properly calibrated. You can also double check your measurement by re-weighing the block or using a different scale to compare results.

4. Can I find the mass of a block using a ruler?

No, a ruler is used to measure length, not mass. To find the mass of a block, you will need to use a balance scale or another type of measurement that specifically measures weight.

5. Why is it important to find the mass of a block?

Finding the mass of a block is important in many scientific and engineering applications, as it helps determine the weight and density of an object. It is also essential for accurately calculating other properties, such as volume and buoyancy.