Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Finding the mass of the Earth.

1. Jan 17, 2005 #1
    My class was given an assignment to design an experiment where we could determine the mass of the Earth, using the equipment found in our lab. (basic highschool stuff) I know we use gravitation pull in some way, towards the sun (?) but all the research i've done and explanations i've found, i'm having a hard time understanding. Any help would be great, thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 17, 2005 #2
    are you allowed to use the gravitational constant G?

4. Jan 17, 2005 #3

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Not only G,he should use the mean Earth radius as well...I think this is more a theoretical problem.After all,in the lab u could come up only with "g"...Maybe a Foucault pendulum would be useful as well... :wink:

Daniel.

5. Jan 17, 2005 #4
    He can find earth's radius using the ancient greek method... measuring the shadow of two sticks far away.... cell phone and auto mobile make this experiment doable.... but i don't think it is possible to find G in a highschool lab...

6. Jan 18, 2005 #5
    i think we are allowed to use the constant, at least i am, and could someone please explain how a pendelum would help?

7. Jan 18, 2005 #6
    A pendulum's oscillation depends on the gravitational acceleration.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook