1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the mass of the earth's atmosphere

1. Feb 22, 2004 #1
    A barometer having a cross-sectional area of 1.00 cm^2 at sea level measures a pressure of 76.0 cm of mercury. The pressure exerted by this column of mercury is equal to the pressure exerted by all the air on 1 cm^2 of Earth's surface. Given that the density of mercury is 13.6 g/mL and the average radius of Earth is 6371 km, calculate the total mass of Earth's atmosphere in kilograms (Hint: The surface area of a sphere is 4pir^2)

I have no idea where to start on this one, and how to relate the mercury to find the mass of the atmosphere.. can anyone point me in the right direction?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2004 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't think you even need the density of mercury. You know the pressure and the area over which the pressure acts. Since P=F/A, you can determine the force that exerts the pressure (which is the weight of the air above the barometer). That gives you the mass of a column of air with a cross section of 1cm2. To get the mass of the entire atmosphere, you need to use the formula for the area of a sphere that was given.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?