Finding Mass of Ba3(PO4)2 with Na3PO4 & Ba(NO3)2

• Thread starter chawki
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass
In summary, when solutions of sodium phosphate and barium nitrate are mixed, a precipitate of barium phosphate is formed according to the equation 2 Na3PO4(aq) + 3 Ba(NO3)2(aq) ---> Ba3(PO4)2(s) + 6 NaNO3(aq). To find the mass of Ba3(PO4)2 formed when a solution containing 410 g of Na3PO4 is mixed with a solution containing an excess of Ba(NO3)2, the molar mass of Na3PO4 is multiplied by the ratio of its coefficient to the coefficient of Ba3(PO4)2, which is 2:1. This gives a final mass
chawki

Homework Statement

When solutions of sodium phosfate and barium nitrate are mixed, a precipitate of barium
phospfate is formed according to the equation
2 Na3PO4(aq) + 3 Ba(NO3)2(aq) ---> Ba3(PO4)2(s) + 6 NaNO3(aq)

Homework Equations

What mass of Ba3(PO4)2 is formed when a solution containing 410 g of Na3PO4 is mixed with a solution containing an excess of Ba(NO3)2?

The Attempt at a Solution

is it 1505.1g ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Please tell me if I'm right!

NO! Don't force us to look up the data. ITS YOUR WORK, NOT OURS!

You've probably put in the proper effort but you haven't demonstrated that to us.

ok sorry for that...i'm new on this
well.. i used an old method from college..

410g-------------------------------------m
163.97g/mol-----------------------------601.93g/mol

m=(410*601.93)/163.97
m=1505.1g

Not quite. You notice that there are two phosphates per mole in barium phosphate?

yes and i think I'm not wrong in calculating the molar mass which is 601.93, but is that method correct?

OOps! My bad. I didn't notice the 2 in front of the sodium phosphate!

You got it.

YAY :D i was really starting that today is not my day..
so m=1505.51?

Maybe i was wrong about the molar mass of Na3PO4 that we should write when using that method, because we have 2 Na3PO4, so i think we should write 2*163.97

410g-------------------------------------m
2*163.97g/mol---------------------------601.93g/mol

and thus we will get m=752.55g

Please reply to my posts!

Chawki. You're correct.

jtabije said:
Chawki. You're correct.

Thank you jtabije.

What is the purpose of finding the mass of Ba3(PO4)2 with Na3PO4 and Ba(NO3)2?

The purpose of finding the mass of Ba3(PO4)2 with Na3PO4 and Ba(NO3)2 is to determine the amount of each compound needed to react with each other and form Ba3(PO4)2. This information can be used in various experiments and calculations in chemistry.

What is the procedure for finding the mass of Ba3(PO4)2 with Na3PO4 and Ba(NO3)2?

The procedure for finding the mass of Ba3(PO4)2 with Na3PO4 and Ba(NO3)2 involves first measuring out the desired amount of Na3PO4 and Ba(NO3)2 using a balance. Then, the two compounds are mixed together in a reaction vessel and allowed to react. The resulting precipitate, Ba3(PO4)2, is then filtered and dried. The mass of the precipitate is then measured using the balance.

What safety precautions should be taken when conducting this experiment?

Some safety precautions that should be taken when conducting this experiment include wearing gloves, goggles, and a lab coat to protect against potential chemical splashes. It is also important to work in a well-ventilated area to avoid inhaling any fumes. Proper disposal of the chemicals and waste products should also be followed.

What are the potential sources of error in finding the mass of Ba3(PO4)2 with Na3PO4 and Ba(NO3)2?

Some potential sources of error in finding the mass of Ba3(PO4)2 with Na3PO4 and Ba(NO3)2 include incorrect measurements of the compounds, incomplete reactions, and loss of product during filtration. It is important to carefully follow the procedure and use precise measuring equipment to minimize these sources of error.

How can the results of this experiment be used in further research?

The results of this experiment can be used in further research to determine the stoichiometry of the reaction between Ba(NO3)2 and Na3PO4, as well as the yield of the reaction. This information can also be used in calculations to determine the concentration of the reactants and products, and to understand the behavior of these compounds in different conditions.